Rugby Club Manager - new Rugby game

Moderator: Community Team

berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

Hi,

Are there rugby fans here?

We have been working on rugby manager game named Rugby Club Manager. It is a rugby union team management game inspired by classic football Championship Manager 01/02.

We've just launched Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for it. It's available on Kickstarter page

Will be glad if you want to support us. If you do not want to spend your money please consider sharing campaign link with others through social media.

We would like your help to bring the list of countries, whose league matches will be in the game, close to 30. Therefore - all those willing who could help us in supplementing the database with teams and players from different leagues, please contact us by e-mail: rcm@berobasket.pl

Couple screenshots:
AMC
VIP

Post by AMC »

I don’t really follow Rugby Union but that looks class!

Best of luck with the project.
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

I’ve worked with a few people with 20 for elusiveness…
Love the screenshots but I don’t follow rugby at all - good luck with the project!
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

How do you get the games to play 15 players instead of 11.

And work out tries and conversions etc.
If it works, it could be great for a rugby fan.
evesham
VIP

Post by evesham »

all my life I have loved the much poorer, lower publicised brother of Rugby Union, namely Rugby League.
May I suggest a name change "Rugby Union Manager" as you will instantly alienate the millions of Rugby League Fans across the globe using "Rugby Club Manager".
It looks very good loaded up, well done on a great job.
I found a Rugby League Manager 2004 or 2008 PC game, in my collection, so I might need some pointers doing the database for the League version.
I will support your cause and donate towards your kick starter :)
Alias47
Backup Player

Post by Alias47 »

Blasphemy.

berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

@AMC, @Here2Win79 thanks! :)

@ebfatz we're creating completly new game - it looks very similiar to CM but it's written completly from scratch

@evesham interesting suggestion, we'll think about changing name. Thanks a lot for donation! :)

@Alias47 we know that Championship Manager 01/02 is one of the greatest games of all time - but we want to transfer its unprecedented playability to the realities of rugby. Will we succeed? We will see :)
evesham
VIP

Post by evesham »

50k wanted on the kickstarter, really that much? or is it the lowest suggestion
HaroldFinch
VIP

Post by HaroldFinch »

Not trying to put a downer on people creating amazing things, but I would imagine you'd have to change the interface to be unique if you want to sell it for a fee!

Still though, amazing to see things like this being created either way. Well done.
berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

@evesham it depends. It's not a large sum for a game, but it's a large sum to collect... We estimate that creating good, playable and fun game as Rugby Club Manager take at least a year by 3 programmers. Fortunately a graphic designer is not needed at this project :) But there is a need of many database editors to properly describe and enter huge amount of players attributes. The most expensive will be players and teams licensing - which we want to use. So I think that 50k is the lowest sum to collect even though it seems like too much...

@HaroldFinch we're creating this game entirely from scratch. I think that using similiar interface is not forbidden as the core mechanics of the game will be different for sure.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

I love my rugby (Ospreys/Wales) so this would be brilliant!

Agree on name change

Are Poland up and coming in the rugby world - just wandering why your guys are interested in this - or just for fun/gap in market and you are not rugby fans yourself?

As some of the other guys have said, some of the gameplay could be hard to change and lots to think about but for sure will keep an interested eye in this :ok:
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

berobasket wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:38 pm

@HaroldFinch we're creating this game entirely from scratch. I think that using similiar interface is not forbidden as the core mechanics of the game will be different for sure.
Hey Beto, I think you are being a tad optimistic there, the user interface of cm01 will definitely come under SI’s intellectual property although whether it belongs to the old defunct company or the current iteration that owns the Football Manager games, I don’t know. Either way, you should seek permission to use it via lawyers or be prepared to change it at the 11th hour when their lawyers get in touch with you. As the main part of the game they have always sought to protect seems to be the match engine, they might be reasonable about allowing their interface to be used but who knows - cheaper to establish this at the outset than encode it in your new app
Moved from General Chat to Gaming on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 pm by Xeno

berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

@Redknapp69 thanks for the good word. We definitely have to consider name change. Unfortunately rugby is not so popular in Poland like in UK but there are some good teams with many loyal fans like Lechia Gdansk or Rugby Lodz (Budowlani). Some of our team like rugby and some not - I do not want to name who is rugby fan and who is not ;)

@Here2Win79 maybe you're right. but we do not use any of CM assets. I don't know if game elements location come under intellectual property but in sport management games the most important part lays in match engine, database and core mechanics. I understand your doubts though and maybe we should think about interface look once again.
Alan_v2
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by Alan_v2 »

berobasket wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 am @Here2Win79 maybe you're right. but we do not use any of CM assets. I don't know if game elements location come under intellectual property but in sport management games the most important part lays in match engine, database and core mechanics. I understand your doubts though and maybe we should think about interface look once again.
berobasket wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:38 pm @HaroldFinch we're creating this game entirely from scratch. I think that using similiar interface is not forbidden as the core mechanics of the game will be different for sure.
If I recorded a version of Strawberry Fields Forever in the key of F#, using a digital drum track, a mandolin, double bass and a kazoo (and even changed the words and structure of the song), I would still be infringing on The Beatles' copyrighted material. There really shouldn't be any "maybe we should think about the interface look" about it.
Xeno
Patch Team

Post by Xeno »

Why dont you patch/modify CM0102? :)
evesham
VIP

Post by evesham »

Hi Bero, thanks for the detailed reply.
Ah yes the licensing will be huge, as here2win79 says, the makers of the original GUI may want a slice of your pie or not allow you to use it.
I'd focus on releasing the Alpha version and then the beta testers who can iron out the bugs. before even thinking of licensing.
Good luck with the game but I've deffo not got 50k :p
berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

Alan_v2 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:12 am If I recorded a version of Strawberry Fields Forever in the key of F#, using a digital drum track, a mandolin, double bass and a kazoo (and even changed the words and structure of the song), I would still be infringing on The Beatles' copyrighted material. There really shouldn't be any "maybe we should think about the interface look" about it.
But we are using only a few bars of music not the full rythm and melody ;)
berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

Xeno wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:18 am Why dont you patch/modify CM0102? :)
Is it possible? How do you change game engine to behave according to rugby rules, not to football rules?
Xeno
Patch Team

Post by Xeno »

berobasket wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:16 pm
Is it possible? How do you change game engine to behave according to rugby rules, not to football rules?
I mean other way. Lets forget about rugby :)
Why dont you modify CM with updated leagues and rules?
berobasket
Youth Team Player

Post by berobasket »

Xeno wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:42 pm
berobasket wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:16 pm
I mean other way. Lets forget about rugby :)
Why dont you modify CM with updated leagues and rules?
We do not want to forget about rougby :) RCM is a game about rugby so there is no way to patch or modify CM. Unless you have a source code for CM. Have you? :)
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

Just had this sponsored ad on my Instagram!
Alan_v2
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by Alan_v2 »

Threrad should be locked/deleted here.