American Football

riise
Community Team

Re: American Football

Post by riise »

I was thinking that it's nice to be happy with any combination of the remaining 4 teams meeting in the Super Bowl, usually willing a team to lose at this point (Eagles last year!), but then my mate pointed out the Taylor Swift coverage at the game would be unbearable... and I suppose I've seen enough of the Chiefs in the big game in the last few years.
Kevin
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by Kevin »

Who'll be staying up for the privilege of watching the latest episode of the Taylor Swift show with a game of football thrown in? 😁

Do hope the 49'ers win, been too long since they won the big one and we don't want the Chiefs turning into the Patriots Mk.II
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

I'll be up, booked in at a sports bar in town with a couple of mates. I think the game will be a crap spectacle but it's basically an end-of-season party ha.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Enjoy! Hope it is a decent game at least and close enough rather than a runaway win.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Whoever decided to not cover Chris Jones on Purdy's final pass needs firing, even if it's Shanahan. Block him and its a simple pass to Aiyuk in the end zone.

Such a frustrating game. Dominated the opening half and only led by 7. I think if we'd manage to hit 17-3 the way the Chiefs were playing it was game over.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

It's going to get boring if the Chiefs aren't playing well and teams still find a way not to beat them. I'd already put the Bills/Dolphins/Eagles/Ravens/49'ers on that list 😫

Now looking forward to the annual spectacular of the draft which will soon roll around again, deja vu from last year and what do we do with the #1 pick? I've heard on the grapevine that Caleb Williams has made it known he doesn't want the Bears to pick him 🤔
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

I think the Bears will get a chunk of picks from someone else and roll with Fields on a mid range contract. There's rumours of Fields to the Steelers but I'd imagine they would pay him less than the Bears. With Moore and whatever they convert trading the #1 for he'd be better set up than most other teams. Unless he doesn't fancy Chicago rather than the Bears, it's hard to see which team he fancies ending up on. He is from DC so maybe he wants to end up there.
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

Commiserations Dermo, another tough pill to swallow I'm sure. I was neutral coming into it, but the Chiefs fans where were watching (like an organised fan club who had a large section of the bar) were doing my head in, so I was very much pro-49ers by the time the second half came around.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Not long to go :)

Coverage starts 10:15pm on Sky with the build up then of course the 1st round from 1am. Should be a good one!
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

01:00 until Caleb Williams goes first overall
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

I've only ever stayed up during the covid year when Goodell presented from his dungeon, so I suspect I'll wake up around 03:00 to check what's going on, then roll over back to sleep.

Not buying the chat about Giants trading up for QB, but also not convinced we desperately need the WR we're being touted to pick at #6.

Depending how it plays out I wouldn't be surprised if we end up trading down (if we think we can get a great O-lineman further back, must admit I've not taken much notice to the pro mocks so unsure how realistic that is).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well that was interesting, no real shocks except the Falcons taking Michael Penix at 8. All the records set though with QB's and run on offensive players taken etc was mad.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

I hope this comes back to haunt me but looks like Shanahan and Lynch ballsing up another round 1 pick. Surely means Deebo or Aiyuk gets traded. I'd lean the former given his injury history.

Bears SB champs 2025?? (I can never tell if next year will be 2025/26, so Williams season 2)
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

Dermotron wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am I hope this comes back to haunt me but looks like Shanahan and Lynch ballsing up another round 1 pick. Surely means Deebo or Aiyuk gets traded. I'd lean the former given his injury history.

Bears SB champs 2025?? (I can never tell if next year will be 2025/26, so Williams season 2)
I think it's a contract year for Aiyuk?
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Yeah and the WR market has gone nuts. Amon St.Brown now the top paid non-QB after yesterday
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

The Penix to Falcons "is a bust pick" is nonsense. You have a 36yr old QB off a torn Achilles with his contract front loaded to the first two years. Ideal development spot imo.
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

Yeah I don't hate it, it's how things used to work! Potentially saves the Falcons finding themselves in this post-Ryan QB scramble when Cousins finishes up.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

You must be happy with Malik Nabers? Can't believe Chargers passed to draft a left tackle, a position they don't actually need a player for
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

By all accounts it appears he's a very good receiver... not sure if he's in an environment to succeed though!
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

If he run between the numbers he'll do well. Dimes success rate for throws between the numbers is HoF level. Outside that, Sunday park level
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dermotron wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:56 am I hope this comes back to haunt me but looks like Shanahan and Lynch ballsing up another round 1 pick. Surely means Deebo or Aiyuk gets traded. I'd lean the former given his injury history.

As long as this regime doesn't ruin the QB like the last 2 have been, even though admittedly Williams is a level above Fields who may have been a level above Trubisky. Might take 2 years or even 3, 2025 season with the superbowl of 2026 I hope Williams doesn't have a sophomore slump, we'll see.

Ricky Pearsall felt like a bit of a reach, surely in mind with being a replacement of sorts for one of your top 2 receivers.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Kevin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm Ricky Pearsall felt like a bit of a reach, surely in mind with being a replacement of sorts for one of your top 2 receivers.
The more I think on this the more I'm not opposed to it. Your the DC of the opposition, SF line up with Purdy (excellent passer, ok scrambler), CMC to his left, Deebo wide right, Aiyuk wide left, Pearsall's slot right, Kittle right TE - what's you call? You are setting up to defend about 9 possibilities here. If you anticipate Kittle motioning to the left to create a running lane beside Trent you have Deebo and Pearsall wide open. That option wasn't really available last season. I think the line of thinking is get Purdy even more good throwing opportunities. Aiyuk had great separation for a lot of Purdy's big plays but Purdy's ability to extend a play is often over looked. As good as he is, when we line up with Jennings as WR3, the plays can be pretty obvious. I love Jennings though and think he should get more opportunities in 2 WR set's. He is pretty slow for a WR though.

The biggest worry from the draft is lack of addition to protection for Purdy. OL and DL guys tend to need a year to come good so whilst we got Kuni, free agency will be critical. If Deebo or Aiyuk get the hump I can see us doing a direct swap for OL help.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Kevin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm As long as this regime doesn't ruin the QB like the last 2 have been, even though admittedly Williams is a level above Fields who may have been a level above Trubisky. Might take 2 years or even 3, 2025 season with the superbowl of 2026 I hope Williams doesn't have a sophomore slump, we'll see.
I thought last year the Bears would be far better. I know you guys had 5 games with Bagent at QB but still, you'd have expected better. This year looks immense though. What's the expected level, 11-6? Or would 9-8, 10-7 be seen as big progress?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dermotron wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:34 am
Kevin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm Ricky Pearsall felt like a bit of a reach, surely in mind with being a replacement of sorts for one of your top 2 receivers.
The more I think on this the more I'm not opposed to it. Your the DC of the opposition, SF line up with Purdy (excellent passer, ok scrambler), CMC to his left, Deebo wide right, Aiyuk wide left, Pearsall's slot right, Kittle right TE - what's you call? You are setting up to defend about 9 possibilities here. If you anticipate Kittle motioning to the left to create a running lane beside Trent you have Deebo and Pearsall wide open. That option wasn't really available last season. I think the line of thinking is get Purdy even more good throwing opportunities. Aiyuk had great separation for a lot of Purdy's big plays but Purdy's ability to extend a play is often over looked. As good as he is, when we line up with Jennings as WR3, the plays can be pretty obvious. I love Jennings though and think he should get more opportunities in 2 WR set's. He is pretty slow for a WR though.

The biggest worry from the draft is lack of addition to protection for Purdy. OL and DL guys tend to need a year to come good so whilst we got Kuni, free agency will be critical. If Deebo or Aiyuk get the hump I can see us doing a direct swap for OL help.
I think my call in that situation would be asking if anyone had any painkillers for the headache that was starting to come on :lol: It will be very hard to defend, so many skill players, should be blowing teams away offensively.

How long is Trent Williams going to keep going? It's good he's playing this year and will be difficult to replace. Puni and Kingston will need time and even then, will one be good enough to kick outside to tackle?
Dermotron wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:37 am
Kevin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm As long as this regime doesn't ruin the QB like the last 2 have been, even though admittedly Williams is a level above Fields who may have been a level above Trubisky. Might take 2 years or even 3, 2025 season with the superbowl of 2026 I hope Williams doesn't have a sophomore slump, we'll see.
I thought last year the Bears would be far better. I know you guys had 5 games with Bagent at QB but still, you'd have expected better. This year looks immense though. What's the expected level, 11-6? Or would 9-8, 10-7 be seen as big progress?
It's a strange one because a winning record would be progress and of course our first ever QB to throw for 4,000 yards and/or 30 TD's would be nice. I'd have taken that on its own as you also never know how the rest of the division will fare. 9-8 is more likely to be last than first though with the others looking stong. So next step after Williams hopefully leading us to at least a winning record, you're looking at 10 wins then who knows? A playoff appearance whatever the record I think is the bare minimum when you factor in the other moves that have been made around the receiver group.

I'd take 11-6, one of those stats for Caleb and a playoff berth. Even if it's behind the Lions as division champs, the main thing would be finishing ahead of the Packers of course with a bonus of keeping them out the playoffs :lol: