Boxing

Moderator: Community Team

Mark
Chairman

Boxing

Post by Mark »

I see that there's a big fight on this weekend. Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr!

It appears to be on BT Box Office. Will anybody be watching the return of Iron Mike?
AMC
Official Challenge Team

Boxing

Post by AMC »

You have to be mad to pay for that! I may find a stream Sunday morning, that's about it.

Dubois v Joyce is the proper fight on Saturday night.
Mark
Chairman

Boxing

Post by Mark »

Oh, I won't pay for it :D There's a fella who streams Stoke games for free, and may be putting the fight up as well. May do that!
Mark
Chairman

Boxing

Post by Mark »

Didn't end up staying up for the Tyson fight. Found out that no KOs were allowed so it seemed pointless!
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Boxing

Post by Redknapp69 »

No KO's allowed?! What?!

They chucked some decent punches in though!

Dubois/Joyce was a good fight

Katie Taylor was excellent a few weeks ago
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Boxing

Post by Offside Trap »

As this is a hot topic, gonna put it out there -

Tyson still the man to beat. I been watching an AJ interview this morning, made me so angry "Ill fight Wilder/Tyson without belts" yes AJ, thats because you don't have them mate
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Boxing

Post by Redknapp69 »

AJ's tactics all wrong. Should have used his build/frame/power instead of trying to outbox Usyk

Usyk was brilliant fair play

Hope Fury can do Wilder AGAIN but I'm a bit worried about it this time - if so they'll have to do a 4th :lol:
Mark
Chairman

Boxing

Post by Mark »

Didn't watch it as didn't want to stay up late due to half marathon the next day. Shame he lost, normally like to follow his fights.

Think that's the first Ruiz fight along with the Usyk fight I've missed now, and he lost both :d
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Boxing

Post by Offside Trap »

Its exactly the same as the 1st Ruiz fight, and I think, the same will happen and AJ will win the rematch, but regardless, thats 2 losses now due to him not getting his game plan correct. I agree that it might not be plain sailing for Tyson next week, I really hope it is, but my gut says, theres gonna be another twist in the plot.
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
Baz
Youth Team Player

Boxing

Post by Baz »

Fury/Wilder was a brilliant watch. Didn't expect Wilder to show that much heart, especially going down in R3. To come back and put Fury on his arse twice in R4 had me expecting him to end it...but alas Fury totally dismantled him after that.

I don't see anyone touching Fury now. He's taken out the biggest puncher in the game. AJ doesn't have the tools to beat him. Whyte, if he gets past Wallin may have a punchers chance...and Usyk is probably too small for the Fury game.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Boxing

Post by Redknapp69 »

Was a cracker

Wilder was goosed but stayed longer than I thought and always has his chance with the 1 punch threat

Fury is awesome fair play. Schooled him in all 3 fights

I do like Dillian Whyte and he's been overlooked from a few for his shot. If Fury can take the belts from Usyk it wouldn't surprise me if he packed in then. Usyk was brilliant in his tactics v Joshua though
faz44
Youth Team Player

Boxing

Post by faz44 »

Sorry, missed talking about both.

There's always been a knock on AJ that he's not a natural fighter. "He's an athlete, he's a sportsman but he's not a fighter". You'd think Fury came out of the womb swinging haymakers but AJ was very late to the game, only starting at 18. At the very tippity-top level, he's looked like something is missing. I know people have a go at Robert McCracken but Bob seldom got things wrong with Carl Froch and isn't one of those coaches who just coaches fighters one way. Twice now, AJ went out there, got cracked and lost his head a bit, which comes back to the "he's a sportsman and not a fighter" thing.

Compare and contrast to this morning. Fury got put down twice, the first one was an utterly disgusting shot straight on the temple. He got up, unfazed, got back to his work. Solid game plan, same as last time. SugarHill has somehow found an extra 15-20% in Fury's power which wasn't there when he was being coached by his family and Ben Davison, though to be fair Davison worked more on diet and fitness. He's always been a fundamentally sound fighter but that bit of extra power has turned him from that awkward bastard who outKlitschko'd Klitschko to somebody who would've knocked Wlad out. I don't always like him personally but he got to the top of the mountain, bipolar disorder dragged him back down and he's there again. Problem is, everytime I thought somebody was unbeatable, somebody beats them. The only exception was Floyd Mayweather.

Wilder has to retire now. Two fights where he's had his left ear bashed in, his equilibrium will never be the same. He doesn't strike me as smart with money, he has eight kids by at least four women, I assume he'll end up broke.
Baz
Youth Team Player

Boxing

Post by Baz »

Wilder is saying he isn't retiring. Not sure where he goes next to be honest. Maybe he needs to drop down a little and take on some of the guys ranked 5-10 then go from there.

The problem is still the politics involved. Mandatory challengers stopping what people want to see, rematch clauses causing issues etc. I know we won't see the politics stopping so we'll still have each organisation demanding set mandatory challengers, but if they can scrap rematch clauses that would open up more opportunities to see match ups people want.