Movie Ratings

Moderator: Community Team

Offside Trap
Hot Prospect for the Future

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Expendables (2010 Stallone, Statham)

If you like the old school action stars, then this is every one those peoples wet dreams. The first of 3 films made, and imo, by far the best in terms of storyline. I first saw this in pre production back in 08, and was like, "Wow, all these stars in the same film - no way" It didnt fail me, as Statham was superb, his basketball scene alone, and even Mickey Rourke played his part brilliantly. Cameos from Arnie and Bruce Willis, the latter being one of the best actors around, didnt add too much for me. Great seeing people like Steve Austin and Gary Daniels work with Eric Roberts. Even Terry Crews and Randy Couture played their parts to a high standard, given who they were working with. The only negative, is too many typical jokes taking place at times of fatal scenes, which really isn't convincing for me, but what does stick out for me is, 1 of the final battles, which saw Randy take on Stonecold

9/10
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Expendables 2 (2012 Stallone, Statham)

In terms of actors, and the quality in the line up, this is brilliant, much stronger than its prequel. Bruce Willis playing a much more active part, as did Arnie, and Van Dam teamed up brilliantly once again with the ever growing, Scott Adkins. Introducing many established actors, along with the original team, by far makes this yet another corker for fans of this type. Storyline wise, not as good as no 1, but never the less, its an easy 8/10
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Expendables 3 (2014 Stallone, Statham)

Yet another exciting cast, which includes many rising players, and a super Mel Gibson. For me, too much time wasted on the film, introducing the new recruits to the team, which meant, minimal scenes for the likes of Statham and co. Harrison Ford did very very well, but it seemed pointless having Jet Li, as he was barely in it for more than 10 minutes, not to mention, his only fight scene involved a gun and no fighting, which was poor to see

At best, 5/10 on this, and that was being nice
riise
Awards Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

Big night for you there OF :lol:
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Iv been relegated to watching Netflix on the laptop with headphones, as can't agree with the wife on the main TV, I dont wana watch 'Breakout' on the National Geographic
riise
Awards Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

I have to literally leave the room when she’s watching Made in Chelsea, fortunately she goes to bed early :D
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Ah mate, if that was me, Id be filing for divorce. I always know when shes tired though and wants to drop off on the sofa, as she puts on Only Fools & Horses for me, :)
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Expendables are a good watch, especially if you're feeling nostalgic about old school action stars :D
Dermotron
Backup Player

Movie Ratings

Post by Dermotron »

Wreck It Ralph was Sunday mornings Disney+ selection. Brilliant movie for someone from the arcade game era
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Scream (1996) - 8/10
As someone who watched the Scary Movie spoofs, watching the real thing was kind of weird. But it's a classic Halloween film.

Hotel Transylvania (2012) - 7/10
Enjoyable watch.

Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015) - 6/10
Not as good as the first.

Scream 2 (1997) - 6/10
One of those movies where the follow-up was probably not really worth it.

The Dark Knight (2008) - 10/10
Superb, simply superb. I enjoyed watching this from start to finish and Heath Ledger's performance was amazing to watch. "Why so serious?!"

Inception (2010) - 9/10
Another great movie, but it's one of those ones where you have to watch it properly without any distractions. I'm sure I've seen it three times now and there are still questions in my mind :D

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009) - 7/10
Decent watch.

Freaky Friday (2003) - 5/10
Boring, predictable.

The Boss (2016) - 6/10
Melissa McCarthy at her usual loud self. Not one of the best to watch.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - 9/10
Another great Batman movie with Tom Hardy as Bane. Had some work to do to match the Dark Knight but still a very good watch indeed.
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Dermotron wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:35 am Wreck It Ralph was Sunday mornings Disney+ selection. Brilliant movie for someone from the arcade game era
Definitely a good watch to spot the childhood game characters :D The second one is decent too.
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

The Guvnors (2014, Doug Allen)

Very similar to the 'We Still Kill The Old Way' concept, old school vs young school, but in this case, its really a case of aging ex-football hooligans taking on the youth of today, with the latter, you really wanting to see get a good hiding. Very good in the sense, it doesnt end with exactly what you wanna see or how you thought it might. Doug Allen I felt was brilliant and played his role super, Harley Sylvester on the other hand, i felt was poor. David Essex played his small part very good indeed, and the Pub Scene, especially, was class. Good performances from Richard & Vas Blackwood and also from Tony Denham

7/10
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Seized (2020, Scott Adkins)

So watched this today, and for its low budget, its pretty decent. Kind of like a cheap version of 'Taken' but Im a big fan of SA and his fighting in this is pure brilliance. Supporting actors, do a fine job, but film is quite predictable, but then thats what floats my boat I guess

7/10
Offside Trap

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Law Abiding Citizen (2009, Gerard Butler, Jamie Foxx)

I'm not gonna lie, I know this film inside out, as watched so many times, the wife always puts it on, something we actually agree on: is just how outstanding this film is, in all respects. Whenever I watch it again, I learn something new, or look into something, and realise something. Butler plays his part superb, not just his role, but the acting is of the finest, id place him on par with Sean Connery. Doing a good job is Foxxm but from a fans perspective, id of like to have seen him get some sort of come upance, afterall, it was just about stats before the 10 year fast forward. There is a few flaws in the film, of course im gonna know these having watched it so many times, but generally, very very good and worth a watch

8/10
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Yep, love Gerard Butler's performance in Law Abiding Citizen, always a great watch!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Yep, love Gerard Butler's performance in Law Abiding Citizen, always a great watch!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Finding Nemo (2003) - 8/10
A feel-good movie, can see why it's popular.

Fight Club (1999) - 8/10
Great watch, with an excellent twist at the end!

Failure to Launch (2006) - 6/10
Another rom-com, was OK.

Pulp Fiction (1994) - 8/10
Another classic ticked off, with some memorable quotes in there from Samuel L Jackson.

My Best Friend's Wedding (1997) - 6/10
Another rom-com, was OK.

He's Just Not That Into You (2009) - 6/10
Another rom-com, was OK.

Hairspray (2007) 6/10
Had to endure that one for a while, had no idea it was John Travola in drag either.

Forrest Gump (1994) 9/10
Simply superb, great to follow the life and experience of Forrest Grump with Tom Hanks putting in a great performance.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 10/10
As someone who read the books before the movies were made, I loved seeing it come to life. A 10/10 from me!

Up (2009) 8/10
A very sad start to the movie sort of draws you in. I'd put it up there with Finding Nemo tbf.
FAC51
Youth Team Player

Movie Ratings

Post by FAC51 »

Irréversible (2002) 8/10 "Events over the course of one traumatic night in Paris unfold in reverse-chronological order" - Gaspar Noe makes you feel uncomfortable, disorientated, horrified, nauseous, yet still manages to pull off a sensational piece of cinema. I saw this on release, and recently too - and it's still a challenge to watch, it's unforgettably hideous, but the directing and cinematography is right up there.

The vvitch (or Witch) (2015) 7/10 "New England, 1630: William and Katherine try to lead a devout Christian life, homesteading on the edge of an impassible wilderness, with five children. When their newborn son mysteriously vanishes and their crops fail, the family begins to turn on one another." - another rewatch and the start of a A24 horror triple feature for me. Minimalist, raw, and enough things that are just out of place make this a really good psychological horror film.

Midsommar (2019) 8/10 "A couple travels to Eastern Europe to visit a rural hometown's fabled Swedish mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult." - If you are unsettled by The Wicker Man then this will be right up your street. With obvious parallels with The Ritual, this is some of the best folk horror on film.

Hereditary (2018) 9/10 "When her mentally ill mother passes away her family all mourn her loss. However they turn to different means to handle their grief, including flirting with the supernatural." - Well made visually, one of the best-looking films in the genre in recent years. The cinematography is spot on, it's brilliantly edited, and atmospherically lit. It's a real slow burner, but very rewarding.
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Another ten ratings from me:

The Matrix (1999) - 9/10
One of my favourite movies as a teenager, absolutely loved the character of Morpheus.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001) - 7/10
Have admittedly read all of the Harry Potter books so was one of those who liked seeing them come alive in movies. Watching it again though, it only gets a 7 from me.

The Secret Life of Pets (2016) - 7/10
I like pets, so simple 7 from me.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - 8/10
It's good but not as good as the first.

My Sister's Keeper (2009) - 8/10
Quite a high rating as this one sort of hit close to home.

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - 7/10
Absolutely nowhere near as good as the first one but still a decent watch,

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - 9/10
A nice finale to the trilogy.

Fear (1996) - 7/10
A young Mark Wahlberg in this thriller, was OK.

Groundhog Day (1993) - 7/10
A solid 7 for Bill Murray's comedy movie. Might have been one of those where I've seen it so many times now that I don't rate it any higher.

The Matrix Revolutions (2003) - 6/10
Why did they bother?!