Movie Ratings

Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Re: Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

I had the pleasure of receiving a screener for the following film, from the Director/Producer/Writer, for my views and an honest review. This comes out on June 5th - I won't do spoilers, but Ill drop the trailer for it here -

Don't underestimate this, okay, its not Warner Bros or Lionsgate, so you have to take into account, the budget is very small, and like a supermarket, you pay for what you get. That being said, a decent English/American cast, lead by the brilliant Eric Roberts - might not be everyone cuppa tea, but for me, he's up there, especially for this type of film. If you enjoyed Accident Man or The Tournament, then you'll like this, easily. It's not Expendables so don't be disappointed to not see, massive explosions, but... just take into account, its a small independent corporation, and for me, its gets given top marks. Featuring Adam Deacon, Vas Blackwood, and many more, between them, they equally deliver a really good performance
Find me on YouTube and enjoy CM related content - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmoWKH ... wcF_cLC70w
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Fast X / Fast & Furious 10

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - SPOILERS ALERT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -SPOILERS ALERT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where to start - as much as I've been a fan of its franchise, the last one let me down, with the "Going into Space" concept, that alone, ruined so so much for me, in terms of storyline, and more so, the history. But, like any fan, a new one comes out, and you HAVE to watch it, if anything, just to write a review.

The storyline itself, is very very good, and whilst nothing is concluded, the next installment is firmly there for alot of showdowns. We saw no where near enough of Jason Statham, but, if his small role is anything to go by, then I expect a big part in the next chapter (apparently the last) Vin Diesel does his usual great job of playing Dom - and doing this and that, but even before the film kicks in, like the others, Dom is already worried about something, so am guessing, hes telepathic now too. John Cena's performance was very good indeed, and showed a balance of his acting skill, as we saw a gentle and family character in him, something, we only got a glimpse of, in the Fast 9. I loved the way it started, so any F & F Fan, would understand, being a 'continue' from Fast 5, it was scripted very well. Ironically, as I was watching it, I thought to myself "Hang on a minute, that happened in Fast 5" and that this was a glitch, never the less, the post credit scene - soon shut me up - so if you do go to watch this, don't leave your seat too early. Tyrese Gibson's role frustrates me, he came into the franchise at No 2, ex-convict, with a bad attitude, but now, all we've seen since, is a comical side of him, and for me, it downgrades the film. We see him about as serious as we see Dom smile. I do love to see archive footage or archive stills, and this showed just that, more so, another prep for the next movie. Helen Mirren, I expect to see more or, but for Cipher and Letty looking like best buddies, really is a poor show. A scene showcasing Han on a dating app, along with his 'lonely' body language, indicates to me, Gisele will more than likely return, in a bigger role, from the dead in the next one after he arrival at the very end in a sub.
Scott Eastwood, for me was just wasted, whilst Aimes played by Alan Ritchson, I felt gave the film a real edge. Jason Momoa who plays Dante, looks the part, but, too much like hes high on coke, through-out every single line he says. It was okay performances from the rest of the gang, but not enough screen time, as I feel either, the next chapter will either be rushed, or left for an even latter movie, watch this space, F & F Part 15
Find me on YouTube and enjoy CM related content - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmoWKH ... wcF_cLC70w
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Expendables 4 (2023)

########### SPOILERS ALERT ##########

Having been a fan of the franchise, this was long overdue. Anyone
who likes this type of action will have been waiting. With Ex 3
no where near as good as the first 2, it would be fair to say, this
movie rates as the 3rd best of the 4

Stallone not quite having the lead role, was a good move, as it
gave a different perspective on what the team are all about, mostly
Statham, who does a superb job as lead role. I do find many negativities
when it comes to the case though

50 Cent adds nothing - whilst I like him, he wasnt given enough
screen time. Randy and Dolph are bang average on this scale of a
film, but not giving them a specific focus scene, smokes their ability,
like in Ex 1, Randy had the fight scene with Stonecold

Megan Fox was a strange one, any Ex fan, knows Christmas, and who
his type of girl is/was - but it seemed a mis-match

Tony Jaa was pretty decent, martial art skills wise, but would
like to have seen him in an ending scene, even if it was just a
goodbye. Iko Uwais I felt was superb - have always been a fan, and
his stand off with Statham was superb. Andy Garcia I know little
about, but he sound like hes drunk on set.

The plot of the movie is actually very good, but, I predicted it
after the first half hour, and when the ending came, I was like
"I bloody knew it" minimal reference to the first 3 films made
this a shambles, given all the recruits in Ex 3 - they'd of been
better off not using the Ex franchise and giving this a different
name and casting names
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Rise Of The Footsoldier - Vengeance - 2023

########## Spoilers Alert ##########

They'll be people that say, the ROTFS Franchise, has had its day and
all that, well, fact is, even the haters end up watching this, and
I tell you this for free - this is top shelf quality. A few may say
alot of this isn't connected to the franchise, in terms of story,
but fact is, it is, and if you've watched them all, and can't see that,
then I advise an opticians appointment. Even if this films story isn't
based on real life, this is about entertainment - and that is for the
clearing viewing of anyone who enjoys this type of movie

Pat Tait, yet again, an inch perfect performance from the superb
Craig Faribrass. Really plays that hardman to another level, but
this time, it was more powerful than ever, given the storyline,
and that for me, showed a true quality of acting.

Kenny - I wanted to see more from Josh Myers in the last couple
of the ROTFS, and I got my wish, - more than I could've asked for -
as the story pretty much is based on him, which again, edged it to
a different angle.

Charlotte - In all fairness, not enough screen time for Emily Wyatt,
as its clear as a bell, she adds that additional element of spice to
the cast. Her role in the prior movies was superb.

Same applied for Sam - played by Jamie Foreman - as Im a big fan, I
feel he adds a more honest and experienced role, with his real life
background. Just his way of explaining, and saying straight forward
lines, almost puts him in a league of his own, as its brilliant

Mo - I didn't know much of Anthony Skordi - fair to say, his character
is an important one, and with the accent, he was the perfect man for
the role. Proper bad boy boss

I felt Fergus, played by Stephen McCole was just brilliant from the
moment go - maybe its the accent, I dunno, but all his scenes, were
spot on

Theres plenty more others who did exceptionally well, but the last two
Ill hit on, is Joey, played by George Russo. The last movie, he was
the stand out start - in my opinion, so seeing him in this, caught me
off guard, given they explained in lines, about his last scene in
the prior movie, now I thought he was dead - but, again, he was of
the finest quality in what was a mixed character of good/bad. And finally,
Geoff Bell, who played Jonny - I think hes the most under-rated actor
around, and in the one scene he had, added such a statement, 100% would
like to see him with more screen time, and who knows - its left open

I'd of personally liked to have seen Eddie Webber and Billy Murray,
make a small appearance, as they are pretty much part of the ROTFS Family
in my opinion.

So last but not least, the twist in the plot, 100% Did not expect that
in the final scenes, and left nicely for what I, and we all, hoper is
going to be a No 7 - and to echo what I've already said, people will
watch it - no doubt about that
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Not sure I've seen this one or the one before so will hop on to wtahc them :ok:
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

Top Gun - 6/10: I know it's almost 40 years old but I don't see the fuss.

Top Gun: Maverick - 6/10: I guess I'm not very well placed to judge as it's heavily nostalgia-based. But it's an alright film at best. The flight scenes are the equivalent of Marvel fights i.e. shit and pointless.

Everything Everywhere All At Once - 7/10: Quite frankly, bizarre. Like way too bizarre for mainstream success, so I'm surprised by the awards buzz and assume people are saying they like it cos they've been told they like it. But I liked it cos I'm the kind of weirdo it was aimed at.

Greyhound - 4/10: War movie that is loud and stressful. Person I watched it with had already seen it, no idea why you'd do that to yourself twice.

You People - 6/10: Funnier than I expected cos everything I've heard/read about it was bad. Too long though (two hours).

The Out-Laws - 5/10: Don't waste your time, an unfunny comedy. Nina Dobrev has definitely still got it though.

First Daughter - 4/10: I guess I'm missing Dawson's Creek, watched this for Joey-era Katie Holmes. It was shit. The male romantic lead sprinkled salt on a slice of pepperoni pizza at one point.

Please Don't Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain - 7/10: Very silly, I think you have to already be a fan of Please Don't Destroy (SNL), but enough funny bits to get a thumbs up from me.

No Hard Feelings - 7/10: Wondered why Jennifer Lawrence was in this and I'm still not sure why. But not unfunny, if a little slapstick. She does get her kit off, if you've not had the internet for the last 10 years.

Asteroid City - 6/10: Think I might be a bit bored of Wes Anderson's schtick. Can't put my finger on why I didn't really enjoy this, but it certainly didn't grab me. Hell of a cast, Scarlett Johansson gets her kit off, big week for me.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

The Beekeeper (Jason Statham 2024)

Very good, if you like this sort of genre of film. Quite predictable, but maybe I've a soft spot for English Actor turned Legend. The minimal joke sense is perfect, and the role is played to perfection, I don't feel, anyone couldve played it better. I'd of like to have seen more screen time from Jeremy Irons as I'm a big fan - meanwhile Emmy Raver-Lampman was superb. The storyline is very good, and something different to the usual in these sort of films, thats what makes it stand out, but the plot seems almost rushed abit towards the end, where it could've been stretched another 30 minutes or so
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Kingdom (Frank Grillo 2014-2017)

I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons of this, storyline was something unique in terms of sport related. Added plenty of spin off scenes which added that concept of wanting the next epsiode asap. Frank Grillo for me is near on top shelf, hes worked hard to get where he is, and can still make it. The supporting cast of decent, and the subject of MMA is scripted brilliantly. Half anticipated what might happen in the epiosdes to come, but that wasn't a bad thing. Started season 3, and opted to take a break, as getting frustrated from the off, as we seem slow getting out the blocks - new concept storyline within, which is great, but they cant/haven't concluded the others, which means, (like back end of season 2) theres just too much going on, and its either phased out and forgotten about, or its rushed. My aim is to go back and give the start of season 3 another pop, but something else bizarre, season 1 (10 episodes) season 2 (20 episoides) season 3 (10 episodes) which I feel is a mismatch in the values of the show
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Made it to see the new Ghibli movie, The Boy and the Heron, recently. Allegedly Miyazaki’s last film although I think he’s retired as frequently as Dick Advocaat.
A young boy, Mahito, loses his mother to the Allied firebombing of Tokyo. A mere two screen minutes later, he is moved by his father to the countryside where dirty ole dad has knocked up his mum’s sister, a sweet deal that seems to have netted him a huge country house he didn’t get in the first marriage. In the grounds of this house are a mysterious Western-style tower… and a heron with insidious plans for Mahito and his new mother / aunt Natsuko.
It’s a pretty deep movie about passing the torch to the next generation, coping with loss, and how war wounds the psyche, which occupies a space somewhere between the horrific reality of Grave of the Fireflies and the relatively lighter - but still high stakes - fantasy of Spirited Away. The first third is satisfyingly dark with the heron a menacing figure worthy of a horror movie but the tone gradually lightens as the protagonist, Mahito, leaves the real world and crosses into fantastic realms where pelicans and parakeets replace the heron as the real danger. It contains many of the usual Miyazaki tropes; the distant, uncomprehending father; man v nature; how Japanese kids were better behaved in the shogun era; but I think ultimately strains under the weight of all the metaphors it carries, becoming a film of beautiful, disparate moments rather than a satisfying whole. It will be graded as a classic purely on how it successfully ties almost every Miyazaki element together buts for me it’s either half an hour too long or about six hours too short - with all the ground it tries to cover it would have worked as an amazing long form series with a bit of room for the characters to breathe and develop.
The relations between the characters are key to the plot but Mahito’s connection to his aunt is too recent to work as the plot driver in the way that Mei and Satsuki drive Totoro, whilst his antagonistic relationship with the heron isn’t as strong as that between Chihiro and No Face in Spirited Away. Critics will (have already) hail it as a great movie because it has lots of subtext for them to explore but for me it’s “only” a good movie (rare enough in these days of formulaic Marvel shite) as it effectively seems to have started as a subtext that’s had a rather uneven plot built on top of it. One excellent thing though is it’s eminently rewatchable as a lot of what is happening is only clear once you’ve reached the end of the movie and had a nice big exposition drop. It also look amazing, especially the early build up of the heron as a Jeepers Creepers type monster. If you’re a Ghibli fan or like films that explore history from a non Western point of view, you’ll definitely enjoy it - as ultimately I did despite the grumbles above.

https://youtu.be/tRO4V2_Z5pU?si=udHYu6MM6t_PgJWb
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - 6/10. It was fine, suspect I missed a lot of references as I'm not one of those people who buzzes off Nicolas Cage.

99 Homes - 7/10. Been on my IMDb list for ages, popped up on Netflix recently. It was decent, like an American version of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away but the bailiff is Spiderman (Andrew Garfield).

Space Jam: A New Legacy - 3/10. Haven't watched the original since I was a kid, but I loved it (and basketball) at the time. This probably didn't need to be made and is way too long. LeBron's acting hasn't come far since Trainwreck.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - 7/10. Funny, I liked it. Tina Fey as an inexperienced news reporter sent to Afghanistan.

Saltburn - 7/10. Don't know if it's cos I'm very close to Liverpool, but Barry Keoghan's scouse accent is so shit it's distracting. And they made Carey Mulligan look like shit. Not what I expected, but I liked it.

Dumb Money - 6/10. I didn't realise what a big deal this was at the time (GameStop shares thing). The movie was fine, but maybe not quite interesting enough subject matter for me.

Palm Springs - 8/10. Oh great, now I love Cristin Milioti. Thought the timeloop aspect might irritate me, but I really liked this, it could've been longer.

Murder of a Cat - 5/10. This came out in 2014, and has probably been on my watchlist since then, but I have absolutely no idea why. Can't help thinking that Tim Robinson would've been perfect in the main role, but it also would've ended his career. So few people have seen this that I think my rating dragged it down by 0.1 on IMDb.

White Noise - 5/10. Knew nothing about this but saw it on Netflix and it has Adam Driver and Don Cheadle in, so why not. Since found out it's based on a book I've not read about a family who engage in clunky dialogue. I was bored.

Search Party - 7/10. Inspired by Murder of a Cat, decided to attack the stuff that's been on my watchlist for 10 years. Plenty of funny people in it, and it was indeed funny, surprised by the hate (5.6 and basically just bad reviews on IMDb).
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

My wife is a big Wim Wenders fan so we went to see his latest,Perfect Days last night. The film covers a series of days in the life of meticulous, routine bound, toilet attendant, Hirayama, (played by Koji Yakusho, who won best actor at Cannes for this performance).

The movie is a very elegant encapsulation of male isolation, the desire to have pride in your work, to make connections, and to live life on your own terms without compromises: whilst understanding that not making compromises hinders your ability to make connections. In Hirayama’s case, the compromise is that he is alone at an age when people shouldn’t be, seen as an oddball and taken advantage of by his colleagues. However he seems content to find one moment in each day that will make it a “perfect day”, be that in a random conversation or in the photos and samples of trees he takes at lunch time.

The movie leaves a lot open to interpretation and therefore some, including my wife, left feeling sad or some pity for Hirayama, whereas I felt the movie conveyed a sense of hope in respect of the sequence of days & encounters shown. This is an unashamedly masculine movie, not in a blow things up and punch people way, but in a “what gives a man’s life fulfilment” and also a “how the fuck did I get here?” kinda way. If you like your movies slow and meditative, or you just want to see an actor give a masterful character performance, this is worth checking out.

Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Mark wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:06 pm The Departed (2006) 8/10
Ticked off another classic movie which gets an 8 from me. I think I felt it went on a bit too long, and didn't rate it any higher as a result.
Finally watched this for the first time last night. It was very good. I must be getting old due to spotting a couple of plot holes in it I'd never normally notice in a movie. The casting was both great and terrible. Casting Nicholson and Winstone didn't work imo.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Road House - 2024

Been reading/seeing so much on this movie, so felt I had to giv it a watch. I won't do spoilers though

Very good indeed,something different, and thats always good. This is something different for the main star - Jake Gyllenhaal - and in fairness, smashed it, in a new type movie. Conor McGregor doesnt do too bad either, although felt anyone could've played his role, didn't need him, but its a platform, and the Irishman was very good, not enough spoken lines in my opinion

Deffo worth a watch no matter what you're into, as this is a cross actor/type movie, - note - watch the credits
Fodster
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Fodster »

I actually agree with OF on this one, Jake Gyllenhaal is a phenomenal actor and can adjust to any movie chucked at him.

The role Conor McGregor played was hyped by his character of being the best of the best, and he sure swaggered around with that same arrogance, he did well in his first movie, not sure how many more will come but he was good.

All in all a good watch, some extreme WTF moments, but its a movie and they all have em.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Fodster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 am

The role Conor McGregor played was hyped by his character of being the best of the best, and he sure swaggered around with that same arrogance, he did well in his first movie, not sure how many more will come but he was good.

Spot on!, I didnt realise Mcgregor had already done a movie
Fodster
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Fodster »

Offside Trap wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm
Fodster wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:47 am
Spot on!, I didnt realise Mcgregor had already done a movie
I don't think he has; I was referencing this movie as his first!
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Ah my bad, I read that wrong
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

The Jester 2023

It was a Facebook Reel that caught my attention to this movie. Having already had 3 part shorts, the director & writer felt it was time to step it up.

Very much like Terrifier, I'd even go to say, at least one of producers have worked on it prior to give the same effect-type. Not expensive and actors are "ok' not as good as Terrifer imo, as didnt like the ending, but all in all, decent
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

The Irish Mob - 2023

Despite this being a very cheap movie, was actually a decent watch. I find alot of low budget Irish movies, often end up with a tidy result. Acting wasnt too bad in fairness, they do sound the same though, and at times, hard to grasp exactly whats being said. Camera quality is decent too, nothing worse than watching something which seems like its been done on a handheld from the 80s. Rob McCarthy has the lead role in this, and also narrates it too brilliantly
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Bad Boys - Ride or Die - 2024

******************** Spoiler Alert ********************

Was always gonna give this a watch, despite I disliked no 3 so much, but, to be fair, no 4 was better, not as good as no 1, or 2 for that matter

Very slow getting in, as expected a better pace, and very hard intro froim Martinm Lawerance, but, he got better as the film developped. Will Smith did a fine job as Mike Larry, with its storyline very good indeed, although, seemingly rushed towards the end

Almondo was superb, and shows his credentials for more roles within the fighting area. Was brilliant to see 'Reggie' in it again, and even better, he got himself a superb scene, and of course, the ending.

All in all, my Friday hasnt been wasted, worth the watch if you like this type of film, Police, Bad Guys, Jokes, Crocs getting a part