Movie Ratings

Moderator: Community Team

Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Are you a movie buff? If, like me, you like to keep a record of movies you've watched and rate them, why not share your ratings with us here or even write a little about the movie you've watched.

Try not to give away any spoilers though!

Cheers
Mark
Moved from General Chat to TV & Films on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:49 pm by Mark

Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Firstly, let me start off by saying that the missus and I are very much movie buffs! We do actually have a social life but will often spend our downtime watching a few movies over the weekend. Admittedly not so much in the last year due to jobs and bringing a puppy into our lives but we still watch a few!

We also have a system where we take in turns to pick a movie. So let me apologise in advance for mentioning some absolutely atrocious movies when I share my ratings! You will no doubt soon work out which movies are the ones that I pick and which ones are hers! :D

I always save my ratings in the IMDB app, so I keep a record of what we've watched. Here are the first batch that we got through:

Watchmen (2009) - 5/10
I remember picking this as the first movie to watch when we got a subscription to NetFlix. I thought it'd be a good watch given that it was based on comics but I didn't really enjoy it that much and found it confusing to follow. It's definitely a movie for those who do read the comics and understand the characters in advance.

Would You Rather (2012) - 2/10
And so it begins! The missus picked a truly awful movie where a rich man offered money to take on a series of 'would you rather' challenges which were rather gorie! I would never recommend that anyone watch this!

Rise of the Guardians (2012) - 9/10
A bit of a surprising one really. I don't really go for animated movies but something about this one got my attention and I quite enjoyed it. Maybe it's the inner child coming out in me, and seeing a different spin on the guardian figures that we grew up with (Santa, Easter bunny, Sandman).

Shooter (2007) - 7/10
A solid seven for a Mark Wahlberg action film with a decent plot to follow.

The Other Woman (2014) - 7/10
Erm, is it wrong that I gave this one a 7? Comedy starring Cameron Diaz, I actually thought it was a funny watch. Not laugh out loud hilarious but had few moments to chuckle at.

The Amityville Horror (2005) - 4/10
A poor attempt at a horror movie. There's just so many of these type of movies made on a low budget and not remotely frightening.

Shark Tale (2004) - 7/10
Not a bad animated comedy with Will Smith the lead.

A Perfect Getaway (2009) - 6/10
I'm not sure why I gave this one a 6. It's definitely at least a 7 now that I recall what the movie was about and the way the plot panned out with a nice twist. It's about two lovers on a holiday where there is a serial killer knocking about, give it a watch.

Terminus (2015) - 2/10
I have absolutely no idea what this movie was about. It was truly terrible and felt like it went on a lot longer than the 1h34mins of screen-time!

How to Be Single (2016) - 7/10
I guess I found this one funnier than I remembered, looking at the rating. Pretty sure I've been made to watch it again since, and didn't think it was all that good.
riise
Community Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

Ramped up big time with my film watching in the last few weeks - I realised that if you have a watchlist on IMDb you can filter it to see which films are on Amazon Prime (Amazon own IMDb), and it turns out I had quite a few, think these were all on Prime!

Mississippi Grind – 6/10. Old gambler makes friends with young gambler and everyone learns lessons. It was alright, Ryan Reynolds was good as the young gambler.

The First Time – 6/10. People in their mid-20s playing high school virgins, you know the drill.

How to Be Single – 6/10. A decent ensemble cast but, despite it being almost two hours long, didn’t seem long enough as the main character was the most boring one. Would’ve been better to give more time to some of the others… but not Rebel Wilson.

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm – 7/10. I’m not too cool to admit to liking Borat. Admittedly more so when I was 16 when the first film came out, but I still laughed enough at this for it to be considered ‘good’.

Manchester by the Sea – 7/10. A friend told me it was crap because nothing happens. But nothing happening is fine by me if it’s accompanied by good characters and fine performances. And stuff does happen, some people just only watch action films.

Vice – 5/10. I think I was pulled in by the cast, but I don’t know enough about American politics to maintain my interest (it’s about Dick Cheney), so early 2000s American politics is even more alien to me.

Snowden – 7/10. Was told to watch this ages ago, finally got around to it and enjoyed it. Surprised how little I knew about Edward Snowden/NSA, considering it was 2013. Scary surveillance revelations, can’t believe I’ve never been arrested.

Gold – 5/10. This must’ve made its way onto my watchlist at the peak of the McConaughey hype, because the description doesn’t jump out at me (prospector looks for gold) and it turned out to be as boring as you’d expect. Wander pointlessly then blasts through the good/interesting part at the end.

The Founder – 6/10. This one’s about how McDonald’s went from a little burger stall to worldwide domination. Dunno how close it stuck to fact, but it was quite interesting in parts. But at the end of the day, it’s a film about burger restaurants, so it can only be so good.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople – 7/10. I’m not sure what film I got his confused with, but this was not the film I was expecting at all. So it was a pleasant surprise, the kid from Deadpool 2 had some funny bits.
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Nothing standing out hugely there then, riise.

I've seen just the one movie in that lot, and it was coincidentally part of my own ratings from the first ten movies I had logged on IMDB. Rebel Wilson is one of those who grates on you eventually, isn't she?!
riise
Community Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

Yeah I don't half watch some garbage, but with 650 ratings on IMDb I might have already seen all the good ones ha. My ratings might be a little harsh though, the 7/10s are worth a watch.

There was a spell of a couple of years where Rebel Wilson seemed to be in every other thing I watched, playing the same character every time, so yes she irritates me!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Have you seen her now with her weight loss? She pretty much admitted that she was made to stay fat so she keeps playing that type of role. Definitely typecast!

We're up to 1.1k ratings :D
riise
Community Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

Just checked it out - good for her!

Wowee that's... a lot. I reckon I started it in 2012 and I used to hit it HARD when I was single/lived alone. It's definitely slowed down in the past few years, but I almost can't fathom how often you watch films to achieve that! Good going :)

I'm really out of touch with it now - my watchlist would routinely be 150+ but it's down to 60-odd atm. Hopefully won't resort to watching Netflix Originals for the sake of it.
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

We watched A LOT of movies when we first got together as she was jobless and I was underpaid and had a mortage to pay :D Safe to say Netflix and Kodi kept us entertained for a long time!

Definitely don't watch anywhere near as much nowadays!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Deadpool (2016) - 9/10
A must watch if you like a bit of comedy. Unusual to have a film that breaks the third wall as well. Shame they didn't get more recognisable X-Men characters into this.

Peter Pan (2003) - 5/10
Boring. Didn't even know they made another Peter Pan.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010) - 8/10
Not a bad watch to be fair.

Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - 6/10
Average.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 10/10
Non-stop comedy and a really enjoyable storyline if you like your Marvel films. My first 10/10 rating!

Jaws (1975) - 9/10
Absolute classic, really enjoyed watching this one again.

Superbad (2007) - 7/10
Somehow didn't seem as funny as I remember it but still worth a watch.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 7/10
Not a bad zombie movie. Missus likes these sort of movies so we need to watch the original.

Jurassic Park (1993) - 9/10
Love Jurassic Park, quite possibly my favourite childhood movie.

Sisters (2015) - 6/10
Meh, not much to say about this one really.
Vasilyuk Stankovic
Youth Team Player

Movie Ratings

Post by Vasilyuk Stankovic »

Greyhound (2020) - Tom Hanks

"U.S. Navy Cmdr. Ernest Krause is assigned to lead an Allied convoy across the Atlantic during World War II. His convoy, however, is pursued by German U-boats. Although this is Krause's first wartime mission, he finds himself embroiled in what would come to be known as the longest, largest and most complex naval battle in history: The Battle of the Atlantic."

If you liked Saving Private Ryan you will love this. Tom Hanks is his usual fantastic self and the audio soundtrack to the film adds to the whole feel of the movie. Only bad thing is the length as I would have liked it to be maybe an hour longer than the 91 minute running time. More back story of the characters especially on the German side.

Still a very strong 8/10
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Nice, one for me to watch out for then!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

The Switch (2010) - 6/10.
Don't really remember much of this one, which says a lot.

Ghostbusters (1984) - 8/10.
Another childhood classic for me. I still think the statues at the end are so weird.

Over Her Dead Body (2008) - 6/10.
Surprised I gave this one a 6. Must have drawn a few chuckles.

Blade Runner (1982) - 5/10.
My first controversial rating, perhaps. I do like Sci-Fi movies and I know how much of a following this has. But I just couldn't get into it whatsoever.

Megamind (2010) - 7/10.
Not bad.

The Mask (1994) - 8/10.
Ah, now this might actually be my favourite childhood movie rather than Jurassic Park. So much so that I even dressed as the Mask at a fancy dress party :D

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 10/10.
My second 10/10 rating! What's there to be said that hasn't already about this classic film? A long watch but well worth it.

This Means War (2012) - 7/10.
Romcom sort of movie, was OK.

I Love You, Man (2009) - 7/10.
Funny movie.

Batman Begins (2005) - 9/10.
Loved the reboot of the Christian Bale movies when they were released and this one is a firm favourite of mine.
riise
Community Team

Movie Ratings

Post by riise »

Mark wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:40 pm Blade Runner (1982) - 5/10.
My first controversial rating, perhaps. I do like Sci-Fi movies and I know how much of a following this has. But I just couldn't get into it whatsoever.
I didn't like it either, but I struggle with a lot of old films that people love... very difficult for them to live up to the enthusiastic recommendations!
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

It depends on the type of movie as well. Take Jaws for example which was terrifying at its time but if you watch it now, you can easily see how fake it is :D
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Redknapp69 »

Shawshank is legendary!
FAC51
Decent Young Player

Movie Ratings

Post by FAC51 »

riise wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:42 pm I didn't like it either, but I struggle with a lot of old films that people love... very difficult for them to live up to the enthusiastic recommendations!
*spits Horlicks out* Old films!?

Here's a few Sidney Lumet films for you, please check them out -

Failsafe (1964) 120 mins. I think there was a remake, I think I've seen it, I also think it might not have been all that bad of a remake. Anyhoo, watch this one.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058083/

12 Angry Men (1957) 90 mins.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) 120 mins.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072890/

I'll add some more when I can remember them...
evesham
Youth Team Player

Movie Ratings

Post by evesham »

Tenet (2020) - 2/10
seen better storylines in WWE, could not get into the movie and tapped out at 90mins
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Unhinged (2020 Russle Crowe)

So I watched this last night, having seen a trailor for it. In fairness, it was a real decent film, and for any drivers out there (unlike myself) you be able to refer to this film. Acting was as ever from Russle, superb, the supporting cast was very good, and generally, the film is good, however, I feel quite rushed, and not enough information given into what lead to the incident in question (no spoilors) never the less

7/10
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

Demolition Man (1993 Stallone & Snipe)

Now back in the day, when I first watched this, I wasn't happy, my hero, Stallone, and the great Snipes, were teaming up, but it was a Sci-Fi, something I had no interest in, whats more, it was all futuristic, but... couldn't do that to Sly and Wes, had to give it a shot. I'd of been 13 at the time, and I think, it was deemed a 12 at the time (should at least be a 15)

Shocked, is the only the word, neither failed me, Sly was superb, and Snipes... well, the Black Blond Guy played a bad guy, better than anyone couldve tried. The jokes were great through out, Snipes being the more impressive imo, the storyline wasn't what I thought it would be, as it begins in the year 1996, then fast forwards to 2032 (only 12 years away omfg)

I didnt feel Sandra Bullock needed to be in it, any felmale couldve played her part, as for me, it was all about Sly and Snipes. I learned a massive lesson, don't judge a film by its genra, as for me, this is an easy 10/10 if you like these guys prior movies
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

We Still Kill The Oldway (2014 Ian Ogilvy )

You're thinking... "who the hell is that" I didn't know him either if truth be told. This film came out roughly at the same time as 'The Guvnors' but for me, this is class. A cameo from the great, Steven Berkoff, this is based as "Old School vs New School" If you wanna see the chavs to today get some comupance, then you'll like this. Storyline is very very good, and the acting from the lead man, is superb, plays the part superb, with some great acting from good old Burnside, remember him? and Tony Denham and James Cosmo. Being a british based film, makes this that little more realistic for me, and with a few jokes thrown in, you're sure to like this. Easy 9/10 as its clearly a smaller budget film compared to some out there
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Offside Trap »

The Wanderers (1979)

My last review of the day, don't be fooled by the year, this was done way above its time, and considering whats been in the news in the last 6 months or so, this is a statement, that such things has been going on for years. But for me, this is more than that, its about uniting, coming together, no matter what colour skin you have. Acting is very impressive, although I feel many of the guys are playing an age much less than they really are. Plenty of violence, some sad scenes, but a big one for me, the sound tracks through out, are that of classic 60's

Its an easy 10/10 given its 41 years old, but nothing has come close to this, not even The Warriors, which was same sort of time
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Demolition Man was a classic, Dermo. I loved it back in the day and actually watched it again a few months ago! All still good to me, except the weird sex scene :D
Mark
Chairman

Movie Ratings

Post by Mark »

Shutter Island (2010) - 8/10
Great, great film. I can remember the first time that I watched it, thinking that I had the storyline sussed only for yet another twist at the end.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 7/10
First of many in the series but a great watch with good comedy value.

Lilo & Stitch (2002) - 6/10
God knows why I gave this one a 6. Thought it'd be less!

Get Smart (2008) - 7/10
Decent comedy with Steve Carell.

The Terminator (1984) - 8/10
Absolute classic, Arnie's best role for me.

Ted (2012) - 8/10
Has an IMDB rating of 6.9 which surprises me, I thought it's a great laugh and one of those you can rewatch over and over again.

The Wedding Date (2005) - 6/10
Yawn.

Shaun of the Dead (2004) - 8/10
A Simon Pegg and Nick Frost movie, this was just brilliant.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) - 9/10
One of those movies where the sequel is even better than the original!

The Princess and the Frog (2009) - 5/10
Yawn x2.
FAC51
Decent Young Player

Movie Ratings

Post by FAC51 »

Interstellar (2014) - A deep, thought provoking sci-fi adventure that's beautifully scripted, has a wonderful OST, and can easily leave you wanting more. 9/10

TENET (2020) - Blink and you'll miss it. Complicated, but not impossible to follow - requires at least two viewings (the second being much better) and maybe a brief overview of the Sator square to get some of the meaning as the film does not hold your hand. 7/10. The theatrical release OST was overpowering to the point that some of the dialogue was hard to hear, and it is a film that requires you to pay attention.

THX-1138 (1971) - Dystopian sci-fi. Unsettling, uncomfortable, claustrophobic and more poignant now than ever. A masterpiece, however watch the original - not Lucas' CGI edit. 8/10
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Movie Ratings

Post by Redknapp69 »

Ted is great if you like that humour

Haven't watched a flick for a while - lots of sport on and podcasting/reading otherwise