What do you never do in game?

Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

There was a great thread on the old board about people's in game habits, which revealed at least one poster always wore a suit for CM01 cup finals πŸ˜†

In the spirit of that, but with a new spin, what would you NEVER do in game? There are various exploits that get you more money, help you win games, etc, or you can take over your rivals and destroy them, or maybe you free transfer your favourite players the day before you take a new job...
Yes I have done all of those πŸ˜†

Mine is that I never use tactics built by someone else. If I designed the perfect wib wob that swept all before me then you're damn right I'd use it every game, but using someone else's tactics feels wrong to me, it's essential to my sense of achievement that I designed the tactics and player instructions. What is the line you guys never cross (or maybe crossed once and said I'm never doing that again)?
Mark
Chairman

Post by Mark »

Resign!
leovii
Decent Young Player

Post by leovii »

I never play 2 defender tactics with a dmc on non wib wob as it's very over powering for the ai. But when you on a bad run its tempting lol. I never use general exploits like signing loads of frees and reselling them for cash and even after x amount years i still don't know the hidden attributes or potential of any of the players on the orginal db lol.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

Never give anyone thats not a GK the 1, 13 26 or 33 jersey.
anzac1915
Youth Team Player

Post by anzac1915 »

I never sell a player to QPR. I never use a dm. I never use one-striker tactic. I never buy a midfilder with below 10 in desicions.
xeno
Patch Team

Post by xeno »

Never buy a player who has jumping less than 12 .
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Dermotron wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm Never give anyone thats not a GK the 1, 13 26 or 33 jersey.
Interesting. My keepers get all the numbers ending in 1 except 11. Pain when I end up with 5 keepers and have to find another number. 33 is my second choice lb.
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

xeno wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm Never buy a player who has jumping less than 12 .
Land of the giants
FrozyLucky
VIP

Post by FrozyLucky »

Never schedule a tour.
georged
Update Team (Coach)

Post by georged »

Dermotron wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm Never give anyone thats not a GK the 1, 13 26 or 33 jersey.
Mine is similar in that:
1 - always reserved for a GK.
2 - always a RB.
3 - always a LB.
4 - always a DC.
5 - always a DC.
7 - always a good midfielder.
8 - always a good midfielder.
11 - always a left winger.
12 - always reserved for a GK.
13 - always reserved for a GK.
14 - always reserved for the best "footballer" in the squad to honour the late and great "Johan Cruijff (never saw him play), normally either a forward or a midfielder. Sometimes noone wears it.
22 - always reserved for my "favourite" player. Sometimes noone wears it.
40 and up have to be young prospects and only get a number assigned when they are in the match squad.
So numbers between 30 and 40 are a lot of times unused unless I have a big squad.
riise
Awards Team

Post by riise »

I never manually assign squad numbers :D clear and auto at the start of every season!
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

FrozyLucky wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:18 am Never schedule a tour.
Lol with the new updates you can't anyway. I like a nice tour to Fiji after a title winning season,I feel everyone has earned that.
Alias47
Decent Young Player

Post by Alias47 »

riise wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am I never manually assign squad numbers :D clear and auto at the start of every season!
Funny, because I never do that ^

Never manage Liverpool.

A newer one but I never bothered with the inflation tool(s) - Β£30-40 Mill for The Haaland's/De Jong's/De Ligt's of the world is still a lot of money.

When in a European comp and I get a good win, the option of saying "We Can Conquer" comes up, I always click "No Comment". No real reason why, just something I've always done. I say we can win the league/get promoted in the domestic competition but it's too much like tempting fate in the European comps for me.

Similarly to above, when a individual player has been singled out for praise I always click "Build up praise". No real downside that I know of, but playing down praise they often kick up a fuss.

Speaking of kicking up a fuss - I never bother complaining about the referee - no point really, doesn't change anything after the fact.

Never make subs before Half-Time (except injuries obviously).

Never start 15/16 year olds in the first team. Recently started a game with Mallorca (Nov '20 data) and so have Lucas Romero to build a squad around going forward, but for now he's in the B squad as he's 15.
FrozyLucky
VIP

Post by FrozyLucky »

Here2Win79 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 am
FrozyLucky wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:18 am Never schedule a tour.
Lol with the new updates you can't anyway. I like a nice tour to Fiji after a title winning season,I feel everyone has earned that.
Lol didn't know that because I don't play with the new updates. Good idea with the Fiji trip though, thanks :)
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

John Terry would be livid with this comment!!
bloominada
Youth Team Player

Post by bloominada »

My number 2 keeper always has 12, first choice 1 obviously, as is right and proper.

Most other numbering fairly traditional 7 right sided AMC, 9 big centre forward etc.

Absolutely no one gets 13, that would be tempting fate :D
*Baw*
Graphics Team

Post by *Baw* »

One thing I never do, but never never, is to sell or buy players from Juventus.
100 metri alla volta...todo se puede
georged
Update Team (Coach)

Post by georged »

Alias47 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm Similarly to above, when a individual player has been singled out for praise I always click "Build up praise". No real downside that I know of, but playing down praise they often kick up a fuss.
I always do the same but once I got a warning and the board told me that they didn't think it was a good idea because it might incite the player to request a transfer to a bigger club. Can't remember the exact line the game displayed.
CMCZ
Update Team (Director)

Post by CMCZ »

If the board doesn't like the player they will be pissed if you 'build up praise' :D
F1Krazy
Youth Team Player

Post by F1Krazy »

anzac1915 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 pm I never sell a player to QPR.
That's oddly specific. Mind if I ask why?

As for myself...
  • I never manage big teams. Aston Villa are probably the biggest team I've managed in CM01/02. This actually holds true for every football management game I've ever played. As a kid, I was just too afraid to mess things up, but now I do it mostly for the challenge.
  • I never turn "Real Player Names" off (or "Fog of War" on).
  • I never sign a player without the intention of playing him. If you're not good enough to at least make the subs' bench, I don't want you. The exceptions are a) youth players who have the potential to break into the first team, and b) if players start complaining about "lack of squad depth".
  • I never sell first-team players unless their presence is affecting squad morale, or I can find a replacement for less than what I'm selling them for. Or, of course, if they have the dreaded Minimum Fee Release Clause, and I never had a say in the matter...
  • I never use wibwob tactics.
  • I never field weakened sides unless I have players who are tired and need resting.
  • I almost never give players a leave of absence. In my experience, they always go AWOL. I recently broke this rule to let my 17-year-old Spanish left-back visit his family over Christmas, and he not only came back, but has been loving love at the club ever since.
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

I have not and will NEVER manage Sunderland!
Renitor
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by Renitor »

ebfatz wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:27 pm I have not and will NEVER manage Sunderland!
What if there's a black cats challenge?
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

riise wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am I never manually assign squad numbers :D clear and auto at the start of every season!
Monstrous
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

F1Krazy wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm
[*]I almost never give players a leave of absence. In my experience, they always go AWOL. I recently broke this rule to let my 17-year-old Spanish left-back visit his family over Christmas, and he not only came back, but has been loving love at the club ever since.
[/list]
I sent 3 Ajax players home recently and all 3 came back on schedule, (although only two were now happy, and the third went AWOL on his second trip home) that made the overall percentage about 50/50 for me. Interestingly, it was over the winter break, and I think the timing was the same with my Italian midfielder at Dundee who left unhappy and came back two weeks later having apparently learned fluent English in his two weeks in Rome. So perhaps timing is key and you have to send them home when you don't have games?
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Alias47 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 pm

When in a European comp and I get a good win, the option of saying "We Can Conquer" comes up, I always click "No Comment". No real reason why, just something I've always done. I say we can win the league/get promoted in the domestic competition but it's too much like tempting fate in the European comps for me.
Same for me. I find it weird it is the one the AI managers never comment on (in my experience). I actually hate doing it for the league as well, but I tried saying we needed time to gel once and the chairman didn't like it. I feel like the game works a bit harder to beat you if you get cocky - and my worst ever league starts have come after I've said we are challengers at the beginning of a season. Would never risk a European campaign for the headline.
riise wrote: ↑Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am Similarly to above, when a individual player has been singled out for praise I always click "Build up praise". No real downside that I know of, but playing down praise they often kick up a fuss.
Again, same for me, I'd like to be more discerning but the risk is too high. Lee Young Pyo was unhappy with me for 2 years(!) because I no commented once on him. I agree with Georged below though, its correlated with more offers coming in for that player, you can see it happening after the second or third time the press ask you about the same guy.