How are you doing?

Kevin
Hot Prospect for the Future

Re: How are you doing?

Post by Kevin »

Midway through season 1 on April '23 and hovering between top half/playoff places in League One as Wycombe. Results on the pitch going ok but the squad has more 'Unh's before names than you could shake a stick at.

Half the squad want new contracts, the highest wage at the start was £3,500 and they wanted inbetween 4k and 7k plus 😫 I would have renewed some even being the tightwad I am but the board wouldn't let me offer anywhere near what players were asking. That's changed as I've got to January but I'm not renewing a lot of players from 1-2k a week to now on average 7k a week.

Then there's all the bids for several players, and any rejected leaving the player sulking at not being allowed to move. I did sell Josh Scowen to Swansea for 2.4m at the end of August and now Ryan Tafazoli (1.7m to Derby), Curtis Thompson (1.5m to Barnsley) as the January window has opened. I could have sold most of the 1st team if I'd accepted all the bids but don't want the side ripped apart during just the 1st season. The 2 biggest potential sales could have been Sam Vokes (3.5m to Villa) and Jordan Obita (3m to Millwall) both of which I've turned down, even knowing their contracts are expiring so I'm going to lose them on Bosmans. Tough decision to lose out on 6.5m for just a few months more out of them but there you go. They'll probably be rubbish as well given they're unhappy! :lol:

Back to my personal scouting of all the unattached players. Club legend and stalwart Joe Jacobsen probably wasn't enthused but this guy arrived before the start of the season to provide cover at LB
► Show Spoiler
This chap has just arrived in January and can now add Wycombe to the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan on his CV
► Show Spoiler
Finally I lost my last game of 2022 and it prompted a moan from a player (feels club needs to invest in better players), I had to criticise him rather than defend him as it was uncalled for and it prompted a line I've never seen before :)
► Show Spoiler
So hopefully the wheels don't fall off 2nd half of season, the squad is going to be so different soon enough with all the unharmony/bosmans/transfers. My main aim is to stay in League 1 for the time being and make money from transfers for improving the ground and training facilities, ready to actually be a championship side not having to constantly punch above their weight.
Jan Deal
Youth Team Player

Post by Jan Deal »

Just had my star midfielder tell me that he no longer wants to move to a bigger club, boost!

However, he is now homesick!
Jack Stein
Reserve Team Player

Post by Jack Stein »

I'm back, after a break, on the hunt for the Catch 'Em All challenge. To recap, I had to abandon my last save after over 100 years as the file size was reaching the upper limit. Was pretty pissed off so tried the Burnley Youngsters challenge for a while but got bored with that :lol:

53 Brazilian Campeonato Mineiro (Brazil)

América (MG)

I can't really remember anything about this as it was the last one ticked off in the old save

I did manage to recruit the hottest young Brazilian keeper.

I took over at Iporá and over about three seasons tried to build a team to win the Campeonato Goiano. Got pretty close but just couldn't get past Goiás in the two-legged final.

*New save started*

54 Brazilian Campeonato Goiano (Brazil) Goiás

I took the liberty of picking the best team in the league! No problems picking up the Campeonato title at the first attempt

I decided it wouldn't be the best idea to quit immediately but try to build a reputation at Goiás. My main aim is to win the Copa Libertadores as that will give a major rep boost. Just had our first outing in that but went out with a pathetic showing in the quarter final. Next challenge is Campeonato Gaucho where the best club is Grêmio, followed by Internacional. The Internacional manager has been sacked twice but I didn't get the job. The first time thay gave it to some no hoper from Olimpik Donetsk who's main achievement was failing to get his team past the first round of Europa League qualifying. He was sacked with the team on 1 point after 5 Serie A games and they've appointed Gheorghe Hagi.
Jan Deal
Youth Team Player

Post by Jan Deal »

I have started a new game where I will only manage teams that play in green, using the Luessenhoff database.

For my first job, I have taken over Edinburgh's finest, Hibs. My first season was surprisingly successful, as I pipped Celtic to the league, hooray! This meant that I was in the Champions League for my second season. I wasn't expecting much, as my previous excursion in Europe saw The Cabbage punted out of the UEFA Cup at the fourth round.

HOW WRONG I WAS.

Somehow I managed to get to the semi finals of the CL, beating the likes of Man Utd, Parma and Lazio. I was set up for two legs against Catalan giants Barcelona.

This happened -

Holy moly! I thought that this would be a freak result and I would get a spanking from Rivaldo, Kluivert and co at Camp Nou...

A comprehensive defeat, but thanks to an injury time goal from 18 year old midfielder Ryan Harding, we were in a European final!

We were up against Inter at the Koning Boudewijnstadion in Brussels. Nearly 50,000 turned up to watch a classic David and Goliath story. Inter had spent £35.5 M compared to my £3.2 M net spend.

Devastated by that Ronaldo goal. We played our hearts out, but it wasn't meant to be. We will build stronger for next season. What a ride this season has been!
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

Unlucky against Inter but a great effort to make the final in only your second season. Dramatic stuff against Barca too.
Rudi Assauer
Decent Young Player

Post by Rudi Assauer »

Started with St. Pauli after I spent a weekend in Hamburg :P

My midfielder made a good start to the season, Stuttgart is already chasing him:

JLa
Decent Young Player

Post by JLa »

Currently in my 7th or 8th season with Scunthorpe. Inspired by someone here (sorry, can't remember who) I have given myself restrictions in only signing free transfer youth players (previously unsigned, no club history), as well as my own youth prospects coming through.

It's quite fun. We have established ourselves as a decent Premiership side (highest finish 9th). The bank balance, stadium and training facilities are all excellent.

Our only silverware so far is that lower league cup, though. Can't remember its name right now. We won it, once.

The team is somewhat lacking in the left wing and striker departments. With my restrictions it will take at least three more seasons to get someone to perform at a decent level. Fingers crossed for a good youth prospect popping up of nowhere. I have a couple of gems already. Haven't checked their attributes in editors, but they're really good and only 19-21 years old. Wonder how long I can keep them. Tottenham tried poaching one of them, I rejected and the player didn't kick up a fuss. So there's that. Most new signings state they look forward to working with me. :)
Theov
Reserve Team Player

Post by Theov »

JLa wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:42 pm Currently in my 7th or 8th season with Scunthorpe. Inspired by someone here (sorry, can't remember who) I have given myself restrictions in only signing free transfer youth players (previously unsigned, no club history), as well as my own youth prospects coming through.

Our only silverware so far is that lower league cup, though. Can't remember its name right now. We won it, once.
That is one heck of a restriction. How do you find those players?

Vans Cup its called I think, if thats what you mean.
JLa
Decent Young Player

Post by JLa »

Theov wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm
JLa wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:42 pm Currently in my 7th or 8th season with Scunthorpe. Inspired by someone here (sorry, can't remember who) I have given myself restrictions in only signing free transfer youth players (previously unsigned, no club history), as well as my own youth prospects coming through.

That is one heck of a restriction. How do you find those players?
You need to use your scouts. Assign them to look for youth players. Just keep scouting, when their assignment ends, send them out again. The players they find are ususally 16-19 years old. Mostly rubbish, but every once in a while someone decent turns up. I have found that if a scout actually sends you a message and recommend you a youth player, he's bound for good things and you should sign him asap.

I missed out on a really promising striker. My scout recommended him but it was too late, he had already agreed a transfer to Burton Albion. Of all teams. Burton. I am sure he's the regen of someone famous, his attributes looked great already as a 18 year old. Can't win them all ...
riise
Community Team

Post by riise »

I think searching 'School' in the Find > Player screen will bring up all the teenagers in the database.
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Since the three foreigner rule was abolished, most of the Rangers teams of my lifetime - barring, perhaps, the banter years - have featured very few Scots. With my trusty .68 database in hand, I decided to buck the trend, and assemble an all Scots Rangers team. (2nd nationalities permitted).

Season 1 was about slowly clearing out the foreign legion, whilst attempting to secure high (ish) quality Scots replacements. The transition saw me fall out of the League Cup at the first hurdle, but win the Premier League and Scottish Cup. A 3-0 win over Man Utd in the first game of the second stage of the CL proved a false dawn, as I then accumulated only one more point over the remaining 5 games to crash out of Europe. To be fair, the other teams in the group were Real Madrid and Roma... The board were happy with the trophies I did get though, as well as the healthy profits my transfer strategy earned them - probably the first time I've ever played this game and had my annual wage costs on the stats screen decrease...
► Show Spoiler
Competition for peak Scottish talent varied. Sometimes I found myself offering big bucks to ensure they would choose me over heading to / staying in England, but for some players, the choice was obvious:
► Show Spoiler
Probably helped by performances like this one:
► Show Spoiler
I was particularly pleased with this guy who I found in my usual painstaking way of looking through every "No Club" player - thankfully on this occasion I only had to look at the Scottish ones.
► Show Spoiler
Not a bad first season as a professional footballer. And indeed the season went well for many of my players, Scottish or otherwise
► Show Spoiler

As is obvious from those screenshots though, my first season success was built on the very non-Scottish foundations of Lorenzo Amoruso and Michael Mols, and both had to go in the close season. With this final push, I was left with only a few non-Scottish youngsters (Peter Lovenkrands, Paul Reid, and an Aussie no-one would take called Ben Steven) along with Scottish passport holders, Russel Latapy and Craig Moore.
► Show Spoiler
I didn't foresee myself every paying £5m for Christian Dailly, but with the restrictions I had set myself, big decisions had to be made. There's a further £2.5m to West Ham if he plays over 50 games as well...😱
► Show Spoiler
Dougie Freedman looked like he could be a replacement for Mols, but in the first half of the season it was Billy Dodds, a player I've never attempted to retain in any Rangers save, who was banging them in up front, whilst Andy Goram and Ian Durrant slotted in as if they had never left. Which was fortunate as Jamie Langfield had turned into paper over the summer break, whilst Latapy and Durrant between them had 90 minutes worth of fitness a week.

Our first CL Group - obtained after a routine crushing of Litex in the qualifiers - gave us a relatively easy draw against Benfica, Lokomotiv, and - oh, okay, not so easy - Juventus. We lost both games to the Italian giants but cruised through the others, with a Mark Kerr hat-trick in a 4-0 win in Moscow the highlight of the round. Our reward was to face Barcelona, Besiktas, and sodding Man Utd again.

We looked like we would be cruising to another league title as we overran Celtic 3-1 at their place, with Goram getting a '9' rating and Durrant easing himself off the bench to net the clincher, but by the winter break we were seven points behind, with this turnaround at Ibrox giving Celtic clear daylight.
► Show Spoiler
When we lost our New Years Eve game to the normally passive Dundee Utd, the green hordes foresaw a successful 2004
► Show Spoiler
But with my team capable of performances like this, was that confidence justified, or was I just letting them out on a string?
► Show Spoiler
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

A new decade, yet another new club requiring my services. To begin the 70's, it was back to Norway where it all began 52 years ago. Nest-Sotra promised to offer an interesting challenge. They may not be a household name but in recent seasons, they have established themselves as a solid Eliteserien club, recording their highest ever finish of third last season. Could I go two better? My initial verdict of the squad was mixed. There were some decent players for Norway but I think they were punching well above their weight by finishing third. There was definite room for improvement but unlike my time in Finland, at least I had a modest transfer budget to work with. As usual, I wasted no time in bringing in my own men but it was not a complete squad overhaul. We proved hard to beat and a seven match winning streak gave us a small advantage but just one point from our last two league games before the mid-season break meant it was all to play for.

In the cup, we cruised past non-league opposition in the opening two rounds before being handed a tough away tie against Sandnes Ulf. It promised to be competitive and it didn't disappoint. The hosts took the lead just before the hour but we responded 13 minutes from time. Neither side could find a winner so we went to the dreaded penalty shootout, which was all that denied me this trophy in my very first season with Start. There was no upturn in fortunes 52 years later as we converted just one of our four spot kicks and crashed out.

It was now league or nothing as I would have to wait another year for a shot at winning the cup, or would I? Arendal's gaffer curiously swapped a title challenge for a relegation scrap with Haugesund and I was offered the chance to fill the vacancy. Arendal were just one point behind us but crucially, were still in the cup, albeit with a tough tie at home to Strømsgodset. Decision time!

It was a tough one, which I deliberated on for a while. My head said jump ship, my heart said stick with Nest-Sotra. I went with my head, so I would have a new club to focus on, but first, there was the small matter of trying to retain the World Cup with France. As holders, we were automatically assigned Group A, where we brushed aside Russia (4-1) and Uruguay (3-0) to qualify as group winners with a game to spare, before a second string side laboured to victory against tournament debutants Mauritania. Finland in the last 16 looked like a comfortable tie but they have been a thorn in my side before. Again, they proved to be stubborn opposition and they took us to extra time, before Mehdi Tritz's strike just before the changing of ends spared our blushes and we could breathe a huge sigh of relief. A quarter final against hosts Argentina would be a much sterner test but they helped us by going down to ten men early on. We dominated and looked to have won it with Badin's goal just before the interval, only for Argentina to force extra time with their only shot all game, eight minutes from time. Luckily, penalties got us out of jail but I could have done without two games going to extra time. Mind you, that was the same as four years ago when we won it and semi final opponents Germany also came into the game on the back of an extra 30 minutes in their quarter final. This was where our challenge ended thanks to two red cards in the first 45 minutes. The writing was on the wall but we still put up a courageous fight before ending up on the wrong side of a five goal thriller. Thanks AI, you bastard! :evil: We would have had Senegal in the final too! Germany went on to win as expected, although they needed extra time, while we at least had the consolation of finishing third by beating Uruguay again, just 1-0 this time.

Back to Norway and my first match in charge of Arendal was the cup tie, annoyingly just before the transfer window reopened. Twice I've been eliminated from the Norwegian Cup on a shootout, so why break a habit of a lifetime?

I was already regretting my decision to leave Sotra but I just had to plough on now. Several new faces came through the door in time for the second half of the season and we won our first league game after the restart to go top but then it all went wrong. Just two points from our next four followed and the performances were not good. Despite being only three points behind new leaders Rosenborg, I resigned when I spotted an opening elsewhere.

I crossed the border to take charge of Hammarby, even though they had no chance of winning the league this year. In fact, there was still a chance of relegation, although they were the dominant side in Sweden not so long ago and I suspected they were much better than their league position suggested. Sweden's notoriously difficult to find a decent job in at the right time, so I felt it was worth sacrificing the chance to win a league this year.

It was clear that Hammarby had been underperforming under the previous manager as we quickly swatted away any lingering relegation fears. Of the remaining ten fixtures, we won eight, draw one and lost one to end up in mid-table.

In Sweden, the cup spans two seasons and we would have to navigate two rounds before the end of this year. We beat third tier Sunnana but were then drawn away to then-leaders Helsingborg. Three days earlier, a reserve side beat the same opponents on the same ground 3-1, so that was certainly a promising sign. Back came the regulars and we lost 2-0. FFS! :oops:

It's fair to say it hasn't been my year for cups, or leagues for that matter. A rare trophyless year for me but things are looking good for a title challenge next season. I'll have to wait at least 18 months to win the cup with Hammarby, though.
Jack Stein
Reserve Team Player

Post by Jack Stein »

@Jan Deal - Dennis Irwin only got a 5 because he didn't put a reducer on bloody Ronaldo, which was his job :lol:

Latest on my Catch Em All...

I stayed at Goiás for two and a half seasons. For some bizarre reason we were not in the Copa Libertadores the following season despite a top four Série A finish. We did win a Copa do Brasil and further good league campaigns. I'd started to apply for jobs and didn't get any memos from the board but I think this somehow upset a section of the fans. With the Copa Libertadores irritation and unappreciative fans I quit.

Bit of a mistake, as within six months I had no Brazil reputation. After a year of applying for anything I embarked on a reputation rebuilding diversion with... Nuneaton Borough!

Back to back titles in English National League North and English National League. I lucked out with rookie treasure Gastien who absolutely terrorised opposition defences

I was able to skip a league and joined Bolton Wanderers in FL1. They'd just avoided relegation and were not in a great financial position. Far too many rubbish fringe players all on £2.5k a week or more. Time to get the squad scalpel out!

Unfortunately didn't have the transfer budget to get Gastien before he went to sit in the bench at Man Utd but still romped to the league title scoring 108 goals and winning 114 points.

Always a bit nervous starting in a new divison - will the squad be competitive? First game in the Championship was thrilling. All the scorers were debutants. Got to be happy with that.

Bolton were flying high in the Championship when finally in mid-October the Grêmio job came up and I was successful.

55 Brazilian Campeonato Gaucho (Brazil)

Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto-Alegrense

I nearly fell over with shock when I arrived - one of the biggest clubs in South America had ONE goalkeeper. Not even a 16 year old in the reserves. He was truly dreadful. In the eight games til the end of the season he let in almost every shot that came his way, I think he made one save! And worse, I was looking at the stats screen and saw he was the highest paid player at the club on £33.5k

For the new season my first job was to recruit the No3 Brazil keeper behind Alisson and Ederson - £5.5 million well spent. New CBs and striker too, rather poor in both departments.

Thrashed Internacional in the Campeonato Gaucho final, the board were delighted and so was I, another target ticked off.

Bonus Série A title win beating Flamengo in the final who had a scary strikeforce. It was a tale of two keepers. Mine wasn't great, theirs was terrible.

56 Brazilian Campeonato Central (Brazil)

Luverdense Esporte Clube

I quit Grêmio at the end of the season. Campeonato Central was a weird division with just two Série A clubs and the rest non-league. I was hoping Thiago Motta would be poached from Brasiliense as he was doing quite well. No joy and the other manager wasn't even sacked when Cuiabá were relegated. The following season Luverdense were promted to Série C so I decided to go for them.

By some miracle we actually won the Campeonato. My loans worked out really well and I picked up a decent Portuguese player I'd had at Nuneaton, two Argentines who'd both been on my shortlist for ages and a young Welsh lad.

Boys played really well in the final, no flaking out with nerves.

I'm still at Luverdense waiting for the Bahia manager to be poached or more likely the Vítoria manager to get the push. Campeonato Baiano will be the final stop in Brazil for a while, thank gawd.
Theov
Reserve Team Player

Post by Theov »

I won the English Conference with Forest Green. I won it mostly by signing free agents. I think I only bought one defender from Celtic. Yeah, I was surprised too he wanted to come, but he was unhappy there.
Anyway.
How to proceed now. I think I can make mid-table this season without adding too many players. I have some 35 year olds though. What's the best course of action at this stage? Buy all the good players from the Conference? Or scan the free agent pool again?
Kevin
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by Kevin »

Theov wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:30 am I won the English Conference with Forest Green. I won it mostly by signing free agents. I think I only bought one defender from Celtic. Yeah, I was surprised too he wanted to come, but he was unhappy there.
Anyway.
How to proceed now. I think I can make mid-table this season without adding too many players. I have some 35 year olds though. What's the best course of action at this stage? Buy all the good players from the Conference? Or scan the free agent pool again?
I think you should at least poach some other teams players from the conference who should be playing at a higher level. There were a lot of good players at Conference level on ODB who were good enough for a much higher league.
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

There was plenty of time to prepare Hammarby for the new season with the long winter break in Sweden. I had been looking forward to having a very healthy transfer budget at my disposal, only for the board to blow most of it by adding 3,000 seats to the stadium that never gets close to being filled anyway. Bloody cretins! Never mind, there was still enough to work with to improve the squad when factoring in money generated from player sales. There were 14 new arrivals and 13 departures, making a tidy profit of £3 million for the board to spend on some useless crap.

We got off to a flyer, with nine wins on the bounce from the start of the season which saw us build up a sizeable lead. We were scoring plenty and our defence was formidable. Although the goals dried up in the second half of the season, we remained watertight at the back and never looked like not winning the league. We did draw a few games after our whirlwind start and it was one of those games that got us over the line, a late equaliser at home to Åtvidaberg sealing my first Swedish trophy with three matches still to play.

The tension was now all about whether we could go the season unbeaten. A 2-0 win at Kvarnby took us one step closer but our last two games would be tough. Our final home game was against Helsingborg and they caused us a few problems but we were more clinical and ran out 3-1 winners to leave us on the brink. However, the toughest match would be saved for last, as we travelled to runners-up Infjärden on the final day. Midway through the first half, they won a penalty. Midfielder Daniel Dimitrijevic was harshly adjudged to be the last man and was shown a red card. The hosts converted the penalty and the unbeaten record was in serious danger of crumbling at the final hurdle. Not to worry, as we are made of strong stuff. Ghanaian midfielder Richard Antwi, who was superb all campaign, equalised just before the break. Even a man light, we took the game to Infjärden and bagged a late winner through Dutch striker Jan den Hartog. 21 wins out of 26, no defeats and just ten conceded (half of them in the last five games), there was no stopping us!

The first two rounds of the cup saw us pitted against non-league opponents and we thrashed both 4-0, so at least next season we will still be in the cup at the start. There are still five rounds to navigate, starting with third tier Gute. I'm as good as committed to staying with Hammarby until I win the cup, so let's hope it'll happen this time. The final takes place in May, so hopefully I won't have to stay for the full season. I don't think there will be many squad changes in this transfer window.

As for France, we qualified for Euro 72 in some comfort, with nine wins and a draw in qualifying, meaning that I can celebrate a full calendar year unbeaten! This tournament will be the last chance for several long-time stalwarts and hopefully my last in charge of Les Bleus before I can think about moving on to the Copa America.

Trophy cabinet
► Show Spoiler
Jack Stein
Reserve Team Player

Post by Jack Stein »

Good work CMAdventurer! I think doing the Catch Em All in any order is probably the sensible choice. It's painful waiting for the right jobs to come up in these Brazilian Campeonato and I'm so bored with looking at the same players over and over. Oh to be in Germany.
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

Jack Stein wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:11 pm Good work CMAdventurer! I think doing the Catch Em All in any order is probably the sensible choice. It's painful waiting for the right jobs to come up in these Brazilian Campeonato and I'm so bored with looking at the same players over and over. Oh to be in Germany.
Yeah, I can only imagine your frustration. No way could I do it in a set order. A big part of the fun for me is working out how best to approach it and having to make decisions on which jobs to take. I imagine with the Catch 'Em all challenge, you've just got to take what you can get most of the time. I admire you for persisting with it for so long as I thought I was mad enough for doing it in any order. :lol:
Jack Stein
Reserve Team Player

Post by Jack Stein »

It is complete madness :D I have to treat each target as a game within a game. The tricky bit has been re-establishing a reputation since having to start the new save.

Alphabet Challenge was good, I enjoyed that. Just the 26 titles to win!
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Last time I updated, my (almost) all Scottish Rangers team were doing so badly in the league that my Chairman was only "generally satisfied" with my job performance. With Celtic outscoring us and outpointing us, the press were questioning my commitment to Scotland, with the extravagant front 3 of Celtic - Agahowa, Edmundo, and Kevin Phillips - attracting all the plaudits, whilst Neil McCann, Billy Dodds, and Dougie Freedman attracted only sneers.
► Show Spoiler
We had, however, made a great start to the second CL group stage, with a home win over Barcelona followed by a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford, meaning we had four points heading into two games against the group's whipping boys, Besiktas. Sadly, they knew they were outclassed and played a ten man defence both home and away - TV viewing figures have never been so low for a pair of CL ties. Their tactic worked at Ibrox as they left with a 0-0 draw, but at home they were even more timid...
► Show Spoiler
A respectable eight points going into the ties with Barcelona and Man Utd then, but would dropping those two points at Ibrox prove costly?

Our domestic form had also picked up, with a long run of wins, including Scottish Cup early round victories over lower league opponents and a League Cup semi-final passage v Dundee. And whilst the press had been salivating over Celtic's foreign legion, my Scots made mincemeat of them:
► Show Spoiler
In fact, we didn't drop another domestic point across the rest of the season, turning the 6 point deficit into a 10 point advantage by season's end.
► Show Spoiler
It was feat that went largely unrecognised by the press, who were still fanny struck by the Celtic imports
► Show Spoiler
In the CL, we sadly looked all too Scottish as Barcelona gained revenge with a 3-1 win at the Nou Camp. A Durrant goal had us temporarily level, but we were utterly overrun and lucky to come away with a result that meant we led them in the head to head.
A packed Ibrox then for the visit of Man Utd, and a point would be enough to see us through. 14 minutes in, and Andy Goram suffered a career ending injury. My shell shocked team never recovered from him being carried off and eventually succumbed to a van Nistelrooy goal just before half time. CL over for another season.

There was no time to reflect as we went straight from that game to Hampden to play the League Cup Final. I'd gone out early in this competition the season before, so was keen to get the silverware. Neil McCann fired us into the lead against his old club Hearts and it was one way traffic from then on, as we ran out easy 3-1 winners.

We looked on course for a treble when we drew Caley Thistle in the Semi-Final of the Scottish Cup, but the brave Highlanders held us to a 2-2 draw, meaning a money spinning replay for the First Division side. Hopefully the money was some consolation as we brought our A game to the replay.
► Show Spoiler
To the final then, and tabloid favourites Celtic had to win to keep Martin O'Neil in a job after his league capitulation. We were on the back of a 22 game domestic unbeaten run, including a recent 2-0 league win over the Beasts from the East and so we were confident...
► Show Spoiler
Still, I have kept my job for season 3, when I predict we will have a fully Scots squad, with just Peter Lovenkrands, Ben Stevens, and Paul Reid to be sold off over the close season.
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

Great comeback to overhaul Celtic. They may have thrown it away but you still went on a superb winning run and also competed well in Europe. I remember Celtic always used to attract some top players on the ODB, so beating them with a team of Scots is a great achievement.
Rudi Assauer
Decent Young Player

Post by Rudi Assauer »

Made it to the second group stage of CL with Kilkenny City A.F.C.

Don't know where it ends, as i'm semi pro. Maybe knock-out out phase? I'm growing terrible slow, but that's the fun.

Best win to date, away at Bayern München 0-1.
Dermotron
Update Team (Director)

Post by Dermotron »

There's loophole that will take time to 'exploit' but you can offer your Indespensible player a little bit more money with each contract signing. So First team player limit might be 1k and indespensible player 1.1k. After the indespensible player signs a new deal the first players can now sign for 1.1k and the indespensible players for 1.2k. Takes a bit of time and signing on fees but eventually you get to the point when the incriments are 0.5k/1k/2k/5k
Rudi Assauer
Decent Young Player

Post by Rudi Assauer »

Yes i went from 1.900 per month to 2.500. Feels massive haha.
CMAdventurer
VIP

Post by CMAdventurer »

Just three new players came through the Hammarby door during the winter of 2071-72. I was never going to make too many changes to the squad that had been so successful last season. In any case, the board made it impossible for me to spend much by announcing a pointless stadium expansion for the second year running, this time plunging the club into a small debt! :evil: This is probably the stupidest board I've ever worked under but with a bit of luck, I wouldn't have to for much longer. The Svenska Cupen would conclude less than two months into the league season. Win that and I'd be off.

We started 2072 at the 4th Round stage, where we brushed aside Gute 3-0. At the last 16 stage, we were handed a home tie against Helsingborg, who had knocked us out of the previous tournament, shortly after I joined Hammarby. That was with the previous manager's squad and at their ground, so would there be an upturn in fortunes here? We hit the bar in the opening minute and were behind just two minutes later. We remained composed and were level six minutes before half time through Ivorian midfielder Bakary Boli. Unfortunately we were still celebrating when the visitors retook the lead three minutes later. After the break, we pinned Helsingborg back but they remained stubborn. Out of nothing, they got a third 20 minutes from time and that was too much to recover from, despite den Hartog's late consolation. Helsingborg managed just three shots on target to our seven but they scored from all of theirs and that proved to be the difference. We would not be getting our hands on the cup this year, while Helsingborg would be.

Unless I left Hammarby (which I didn't), my hopes of adding another trophy to the cabinet this year rested with France at Euro 72. This year would see me celebrate (if that's the right word) a decade in charge of Les Bleus and I really wanted to mark it with the trophy that would see me free to look for my next international move. We successfully navigated the group stage by beating Belgium 3-0, Croatia 1-0 and Ireland 2-0. Winning the group supposedly gives you an easier quarter final but instead we got Spain! It wasn't quite one-way traffic but we did create the majority of the chances, but found Spanish goalkeeper Manzano in inspired form. I could see a penalty shootout coming from a mile away. I have won a couple of them against Spain in the past but it would be third time unlucky on this occasion. Manzano saved from Erragui, while Barbosa and N'Guessan were off target with their efforts, allowing the Spanish to win a dramatic shootout 3-2. We were heading home without conceding a single goal! My recent run of bad luck in cup competitions continues and Spain took advantage by beating England and Italy to win the tournament.

This tournament was the end of the international road for goalkeeper Maxime Stinat, defenders Nicolas Bonnet and Mamadou Erragui, midfielder Mehdi Tritz and striker Arnaud Dembélé, all of whom played in the World Cup final victory six years ago and have been key players for many years. A sixth; forward Gauthier Faivre failed to make the squad due to a loss of form. The end of an era for French football. I'm eternally grateful to them all for their service but it's now time to look to the future. I think I have some positions covered, while other places are certainly up for grabs. I'll be staying with France for at least another four years, unless I'm sacked first.

Back to Hammarby and we made a stuttering start to the defence of our title, drawing three of our first five games. One of the draws was against Östersund, whose early season form was superb and they led the table for a while. Eventually we found some form, while they had a mini wobble, giving us a one point lead, which was extended to four thanks to a 1-0 win at their ground, where we scored a late winner. It was swiftly back down to one as we suffered a shock defeat at home to Lidköpings, our first league loss in 21 months. Our lead remained a solitary point for a long time, as Östersund kept grinding out results. However, we closed out the season with ten consecutive victories, while they fell apart in their last three games with just two points, allowing us to win the Allsvenskan by a ridiculously flattering eight points.

In the Champions League, we recorded a magnificent 3-1 aggregate victory against Italians Novara (Serie A champions for six years running until it ended a couple of years ago) to make the group stage. St. Pauli, Brentford and Vitesse didn't look like the easiest of assignments but we rose to the occasion superbly, topping the group with 13 points. Deportivo, Everton and former club Hamburg await us in the second phase.

The Svenska Cupen remains the priority though and we have made it through the first two rounds of the next edition against modest opposition. At least Helsingborg can't end our hopes for a third year running as they've already been knocked out. The European run has done wonders for our finances and I'd like to put the money to good use in a bid to finally land the cup. I hope the board have learnt their lesson but I'm not holding my breath.