How to set up cm01/02 for Network Play (windows 10)

Moderator: Network Game Team

Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

Okay, hopefully this might help a few people
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

It may differ for some people, but I think thats windows dependent. If need be, I can send a copy of mine and then you edit all the numbers that have "25.73.144.137" with your own Hamachi IP, and fingers crossed this will solve your issues

1 other important thing, when you first do this, I advise opening CM in window, as when you first click "Network" for the first time, hopefully, you'll get a notification about CM wanting access via your firewall, so you agree to that, but this is a great sign, the game will kick in. Not having CM in Window at this time, you may miss this option, therefore, basically ignoring the request, and the game not starting
If a gum boil could boil oil, how much oil could a gum boil, boil, if a gum boil could boil oil ?
ICTPaisley
Youth Team Player

Post by ICTPaisley »

OK so I've ran into a little problem. My friend is getting an error message when trying to log onto the Hamachi Servers.

Failed to connect to the Hamachi Servers. Would you like Hamachi to automatically monitor server availability and establish a connection as soon as it becomes possible?

Any Ideas? This is happening as soon as he's installed it and opened and hit the power button. He hasn't created a log in yet because of this.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

I've had this a few times to be honest, normally, a reboot of Hamachi works, or a reboot of your device, but, there is an online guide somewhere, Im sure of it, which sorts this, failing that, uninstall Hamachi, ensuring you remove all settings etc.. and do a fresh install

If still no joy, you can use Radmin as an alternative to Hamachi, this worked fine last time I tried
tfielden
Trialist

Can't get network game running

Post by tfielden »

A little help would be appreciated here

I've followed the steps, Hamachi, changed the ~net file to the IP of hamachi, installed the 3.9 patch, installed the FixNetwork patch through Nicks, Turned Firewall off, deleted the .dll file
Still no luck with getting the game to work.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Can't get network game running

Post by Offside Trap »

Okay, so assuming you've done all the basics, few things additionally -
Are you running as admin?
Is your compatibility set to either Windows 95 / NT 4.0?
Are you checking your ~net file again, and opening it via notepad, matching it against you Hamachi IP
When editing the ~net, are you doing it in a location away from the CM directory?
When creating a network game, do you have an active Hamachi Network online?

And the last one, this is key - when you first set up everything, the above steps, the first time you goto "Network Play" it will ask you if you're happy for CM to be allowed via your firewall or whichever, naturally you allow, but if you're playing the game in full window, you may miss this, so id suggest, start from scratch, clean install etc... and then prior to going to "network play" move game into window mode, and when you see it, click allow, this is basically the last step. There is a way you could manually do it, but in fairness, you shouldnt have to to
Düsenjeff
Youth Team Player

Post by Düsenjeff »

I'm having a problem with one mate not seeing our game. I've started playing with 4 mates, setting up everything like described here and using Radmin. No problems, everything works.

Now for the fifth one wanting to join we set the game up exactly the same way but he just cant see the game, when I host it. Whay may be the fix for this? The game is set up correctly, exactly like for all others. Firewall shouldnt be a problem either as we set CM and Radmin as exceptions. Are there maybe some port that need to be opened in the router or something? Would be great if someone may have some other things to try.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

So the others can still see/join the game then I assume, and the 5th person cant see it? in which case, have they tried entering the IP Manually, so that of your IP on Radmin, ensuring you following it exactly?

Failing that, mayb they should reinstall Radmin, to give that a refresh
HaroldFinch
VIP

Post by HaroldFinch »

Does that person use a software firewall? And is it the Windows one or another company? If exceptions are definitely added to that, then it sounds like it's very likely to be the firewall on the router needing an exception or something. Think Radmin's port number is 4899. But worth them checking the settings. Does Radmin have a test setup section? I haven't ever used it but there must be a way to test connections.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

I find Radmin is no where near as secure as Hamachi. I have it just a back up, and its very rare Hamachi encounters issues. That being said, I've known people to just not be able to log on with Hamachi, and Radmin will work, strange
Düsenjeff
Youth Team Player

Post by Düsenjeff »

Offside Trap wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:51 am So the others can still see/join the game then I assume, and the 5th person cant see it? in which case, have they tried entering the IP Manually, so that of your IP on Radmin, ensuring you following it exactly?

Exactly! Haven't tried via IP. We will try tomorrow and I will let him reinstall Radmin too.
HaroldFinch wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 pm Does that person use a software firewall? And is it the Windows one or another company? If exceptions are definitely added to that, then it sounds like it's very likely to be the firewall on the router needing an exception or something. Think Radmin's port number is 4899. But worth them checking the settings. Does Radmin have a test setup section? I haven't ever used it but there must be a way to test connections.
Only the Windows one. I will forward him to try open the port 4899 in his setting for the router. Pinging him worked without error... this is the only test I could find.
Offside Trap wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:27 pm I find Radmin is no where near as secure as Hamachi. I have it just a back up, and its very rare Hamachi encounters issues. That being said, I've known people to just not be able to log on with Hamachi, and Radmin will work, strange
We suffered many disconnects and bad connection with Hamachi, so we tried Radmin which works way better for us so far.

Thank you both for all you suggestions, I will let you know if it worked!
HaroldFinch
VIP

Post by HaroldFinch »

Düsenjeff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:15 pm
Offside Trap wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:51 am So the others can still see/join the game then I assume, and the 5th person cant see it? in which case, have they tried entering the IP Manually, so that of your IP on Radmin, ensuring you following it exactly?

Exactly! Haven't tried via IP. We will try tomorrow and I will let him reinstall Radmin too.
HaroldFinch wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 pm Does that person use a software firewall? And is it the Windows one or another company? If exceptions are definitely added to that, then it sounds like it's very likely to be the firewall on the router needing an exception or something. Think Radmin's port number is 4899. But worth them checking the settings. Does Radmin have a test setup section? I haven't ever used it but there must be a way to test connections.
Only the Windows one. I will forward him to try open the port 4899 in his setting for the router. Pinging him worked without error... this is the only test I could find.
Offside Trap wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:27 pm I find Radmin is no where near as secure as Hamachi. I have it just a back up, and its very rare Hamachi encounters issues. That being said, I've known people to just not be able to log on with Hamachi, and Radmin will work, strange
We suffered many disconnects and bad connection with Hamachi, so we tried Radmin which works way better for us so far.

Thank you both for all you suggestions, I will let you know if it worked!
Make sure there is also an exception in Windows Firewall for Radmin too.
Offside Trap
Network Game Team

Post by Offside Trap »

When you first set up network, either Radmin or Hamachi, the first time you goto Network play, it will always ask/tell you, that Windows is preventing CM, would you like to allow it, naturally, you say yes, so if you dont see this first warning, then chances are, it wont work, and a step has been missed somewhere