Mike Bassett: England Manager

Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Re: Mike Bassett: England Manager

Post by Libertine73 »

Redknapp69 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:55 pm • Good fiery interview with Lineker!
• Morris looks immense
• Brodie very handy and versatile!
• LB a cracker
• Josh John brilliant!
• Hunt looks like a fella who’s ready to shine on Int’l stage
• Malone – feck! Wow! Plenty of time for that finishing to improve as well
Poland must have some team as you seem adamant you can’t challenge them to top the group?
• HUGE game up v Poland first then!
• I have worry if you lose to Poland the knives could be out again!
Poland have loads of quality. I've worked with a lot of the squad.

They reached the semi-finals of the recent Euros, and got to the same stage of the World Cup two years ago.

I'm actually going to have a look at their real life squad, as most of them will be regens.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

CMAdventurer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:09 pm Getting rid of many established players, you're either a genius or a lunatic. :D Still, despite the restrictions, you appear to have uncovered a couple of hidden gems in Morris and Malone. I like the look of John too, with all three having age on their side.

Now that the prima donnas have gone, it's time to prove the snobs wrong. Bassettball FTW!
The established elite don't like Bassettball, but deep down, Lineker is rooting for me!
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

I wouldn’t rely on that goalie for a championship campaign, never mind a World Cup. Astonishing fall from grace for the former goal machine Reeves as well. You’ve certainly made qualifying a harder chore than it should be, but you’ll go down swinging playing classic Bassetball. Some cracking interviews there, it’s good to know that Gary is still going to be the headline football act for the BBC for a good 50 years more, whilst Jenas has thankfully disappeared without trace.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Here2Win79 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:03 pm I wouldn’t rely on that goalie for a championship campaign, never mind a World Cup. Astonishing fall from grace for the former goal machine Reeves as well. You’ve certainly made qualifying a harder chore than it should be, but you’ll go down swinging playing classic Bassetball. Some cracking interviews there, it’s good to know that Gary is still going to be the headline football act for the BBC for a good 50 years more, whilst Jenas has thankfully disappeared without trace.
I think that a bit of Bassettball is a good way to finish the story.

What is it that you don't rate about the keeper? I think that he has high values in all of the right places.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

September 2040

Post by Libertine73 »

World Cup Qualifier: England vs Poland

Of the twenty-two players from both sides that started this game, no fewer than thirteen have previously played under me at club level, twelve of which I signed.

We started the game brilliantly, but sadly, it went downhill moments later.

Having sent out such an inexperienced side, I was delighted when England captain Dave Bentley surged forward from midfield, kept going, and was given time and space to unleash a long-range effort to give us the lead with his first international goal.

My joy was short-lived.

Two minutes later, Sheffield United central defender Bradley Stevens committed a two-footed challenge that saw him receive a straight red card.

I immediately took off Solihull striker Andy Brown, and replaced him with Reading central defender Jon Walters for his international debut, leaving King's Lynn striker Andy Malone on his own up front.

It didn't take long for our opponents to make their numerical advantage count, with Bournemouth striker Rafal Bator going on to score a hat-trick.

The FA were very disappointed with our toothless and ill-disciplined display.

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image

I later stormed out of the post-match press conference, after repeatedly being questioned about my team selection, and whether I would resign or expect to face the sack.

Meanwhile pundits Jermaine Jenas and Chris Sutton were very critical of my starting line-up.

JJ: Chris, you've been supportive of Mike Bassett in the past, but we were poor in the Euros this summer, and he's sent out a side containing just five players that ply their trade in top flight football.

CS: It's difficult to defend him. Many people are scratching their heads over the squad that he has selected. The only thing that I will say is that any side that goes down to ten men within minutes of kick-off are going to find it hard to get something from the game.

The tabloid media were particularly scathing. The Sun summed it up with their headline: 'SECOND-RATE MANAGER SELECTS SECOND-RATE PLAYERS IN HUMILIATING DEFEAT TO POLAND AT WEMBLEY'

Next Update

A match report of our second World Cup Qualifier, a trip to Israel who are ranked 200th in the world.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh - feck

That's a gutter - take a great lead - all set up for a cracker of a game and then a fecking red a few mins after it

Shipping 3 at home to a good team is understandable when you are down to 10 men - and Bator must have had a day when he felt very determined - which doesn't often happen by his att's on that! :lol:

Puts you up against it from the off now

Sounds like you haven't got the sack so feels like you need a big unbeaten run now and then see how it stands v Poland
Strike Force One
Reserve Team Player

Post by Strike Force One »

That was a bit of a nasty kick in the old baws Bassettball, especially after the dream start.

Don't they like you or something? Time to roll up them sleeves and put the record straight, you can do this!
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Libertine73 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:12 am

What is it that you don't rate about the keeper? I think that he has high values in all of the right places.
I like bravery in a keeper and his balance and aggression levels are also low. Too high aggression and they are always rushing out and getting rounded or sent off, but aggression of 3 with the low bravery, he’ll be cowering on the line. I’ve actually found a still from the Poland game that I think illustrates this.
► Show Spoiler
His positioning isn’t great for international level either in comparison to some of the alternatives you’ve previously shown us.

But who knows. There are only two types of gk in CM01, supermen and papermen, and I still haven’t found the formula that guarantees performance. Hopefully Morris turns out to be the former
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Redknapp69 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:27 pm Arrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh - feck

That's a gutter - take a great lead - all set up for a cracker of a game and then a fecking red a few mins after it

Shipping 3 at home to a good team is understandable when you are down to 10 men - and Bator must have had a day when he felt very determined - which doesn't often happen by his att's on that! :lol:

Puts you up against it from the off now

Sounds like you haven't got the sack so feels like you need a big unbeaten run now and then see how it stands v Poland
I think that I'll be in massive trouble if we fail to win that next game against Israel.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Strike Force One wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:16 pm That was a bit of a nasty kick in the old baws Bassettball, especially after the dream start.

Don't they like you or something? Time to roll up them sleeves and put the record straight, you can do this!
Bradley Stevens getting sent off was a blow. I seem to have suffered with a disproportionate amount of red cards since taking this job.

Stevens only has a value of 12 for Aggression, so i wouldn't have thought that he'd be a candidate for an early red. There could be issues with hidden attributes such as Dirtiness and Temperament, but he hasn't had a problem with this at club level
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Here2Win79 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:01 am
Libertine73 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:12 am

I like bravery in a keeper and his balance and aggression levels are also low. Too high aggression and they are always rushing out and getting rounded or sent off, but aggression of 3 with the low bravery, he’ll be cowering on the line. I’ve actually found a still from the Poland game that I think illustrates this.
► Show Spoiler
His positioning isn’t great for international level either in comparison to some of the alternatives you’ve previously shown us.

But who knows. There are only two types of gk in CM01, supermen and papermen, and I still haven’t found the formula that guarantees performance. Hopefully Morris turns out to be the former
I see Handling, Agility and Reflexes as the key attributes for a keeper, whereas things like Bravery, Jumping, Positioning and Strength are not quite as important, but I wouldn't want weaknesses in those areas either.

Morris's values for Balance and Bravery are a little below average for a top keeper, but they don't seem too bad. Aggression is admittedly very low, and is something that perhaps I've been wrong to overlook.

I guess that weak values could dilute the good ones somewhat, but there's also the hidden attributes to factor in. I haven't looked at Morris's hidden values, but I did a one-season spin-off on my previous big story where I went into CM Scout and only signed players that had values of (I think it was) 14 or above for Consistency, Important Matches and Pressure.

This proved to be successful, though I'm sure that it wasn't the only factor.
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

I've been missing in action for quite some time so have spent the last three or four days catching up with posts you made going back to August last year real time.

This story continues to amaze. And quite rightly won Story of the Year.
It has been a great rise and I have really enjoyed watching the National and Worldwide reputations grow as you won all those Championship titles.
It's intriguing that wing the Championship eventually put you top of the domestic list without ever managing in the top flight.

And now to the present day game time. I've been waiting to see either a Benson or a Hedges selected but alas not so far.
Waiting eagerly to see what the rag tag manager can do with a bunch of rag tag lower league players on the international scene.

Gotta say, I'm unhappy that Mark Reeves was one of the ones who turned against you. He looked like the real deal!
Find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Search
: TheEbFatz
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

ebfatz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 pm I've been missing in action for quite some time so have spent the last three or four days catching up with posts you made going back to August last year real time.

This story continues to amaze. And quite rightly won Story of the Year.
It has been a great rise and I have really enjoyed watching the National and Worldwide reputations grow as you won all those Championship titles.
It's intriguing that wing the Championship eventually put you top of the domestic list without ever managing in the top flight.

And now to the present day game time. I've been waiting to see either a Benson or a Hedges selected but alas not so far.
Waiting eagerly to see what the rag tag manager can do with a bunch of rag tag lower league players on the international scene.

Gotta say, I'm unhappy that Mark Reeves was one of the ones who turned against you. He looked like the real deal!
Thanks for those kind words.

My reputation plateaued in League One, so once Scott Parker got chosen ahead of me for the England job, I had to make that step up to the Championship.

I was surprised that five promotions as Championship winners was enough to top the domestic rankings, but maybe winning the EFL Cup and FA Cup helped.

It didn't set out to win major domestic trophies, as it messed around with my narrative of getting the England job without being successful, but on both occasions I benefitted from coming up against sides that rested key players in the latter stages.

Part of the reason that I created the story of the player revolt was so that I could choose some players from the lower leagues in the squad, though if I was being true to the Benson & Hedges storyline, perhaps I should have picked an older player with low stamina!
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

September 2040 (continued)

Post by Libertine73 »

World Cup Qualifier: Israel vs England

I made four changes to the starting line-up.

Central defender Jon Walters of Reading came in for the suspended Bradley Stevens, I preferred Millwall's Josh John to Derby's Grant Moore at left midfield, I also preferred Wycombe's Elliott Hunt to Solihull striker Andy Brown, and put England captain Dave Bentley of DC United on the bench due to his condition not being quite high enough. Ian Fenwick of Southampton came into midfield alongside Wolves' Andy Bird, who took the captain's armband.

An unconvincing performance followed, but we did enough to get our first win in this World Cup Qualifying campaign.

Fenwick set up John to give us an early lead with his first international goal, but Tottenham right back Bradley Marshall had a night to forget. His handball in our box meant that we conceded a penalty, which our opponents converted.

We gradually got ourselves back on track. Cardiff left back Robert Sutton delivered a cross into the box for Elliott Hunt to head us back in front with his first international goal, before he scored his second goal of the game just before half-time, when he headed in a ball into the box by Fenwick, who got his second assist of the game.

We didn't play that great in the second-half. The game became quite scrappy, and the most notable incident was Marshall receiving his marching orders for a second yellow card after showing fury to the ref, due to a perceived injustice in receiving a first caution.

Man of the Match: Elliott Hunt

The future of English football right there. His lack of pace is the only weakness, but he's so strong in other areas.

I was particularly impressed with how Elliott kept winning back possession. He won no fewer than six tackles. More than any of his team-mates this evening.

Group 3 Table

Our trip to Ukraine next month already looks crucial.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Job done - that'll do and keep the nay sayers off your back.............for a while

Confidence booster next v Cyprus

Give Ukraine away is 4 days later - you gonna rotate?
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Redknapp69 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:38 pm Job done - that'll do and keep the nay sayers off your back.............for a while

Confidence booster next v Cyprus

Give Ukraine away is 4 days later - you gonna rotate?
I doubt it. Condition of the players will dictate what I decide, but I'll go full strength against Cyprus. I wonder if all these red cards are down to a lack of international experience, so another cap under their belts might go a small way to avoiding this in future.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

October 2040

Post by Libertine73 »

World Cup Qualifier: England vs Cyprus

After a sluggish start, we secured a comfortable victory over a Cyprus side that came into the game placed 200th in the FIFA Rankings.

My former Leeds striker Graham Doyle returned to the starting line-up, and gave us the lead when he headed in a cross by his strike partner, Sheffield Wednesday forward Ollie Sharp.

We looked a lot more potent in the second-half. An effort by Southampton midfielder Ian Fenwick was saved, but could only be parried into the path of his club mate Doyle, who smashed us into a 2-0 lead with his second goal of the game.

Six minutes later, substitute Jim Evans delivered a delightful through-ball into the area for Brighton right midfielder Harrison Willis to fire us into a 3-0 lead with his first international goal.

We kept going, and two debutants combined for our fourth goal. Leeds right back Harvey Daniels found Sharp in the area, and the prolific striker's well taken shot completed the scoring.

Man of the Match: Graham Doyle

A great return to the side for the Southampton striker. He saw plenty of the ball, and won nine of his fourteen aerial duels. His goals set us on our way.

~~~

World Cup Qualifier: Ukraine vs England

Graham Doyle came to our rescue, and prevented us from suffering a damaging defeat.

The hosts just shaded it in the first-half. Both keepers were busy, but our opponents had a just about deserved lead at half-time.

The second-half wasn't going too well. I'd switched from the flat 442 formation to the attacking version, but it didn't really improve things.

I then made substitutions in the 74th minute, after Steve Morris made a great save to keep us in the game.

I took off ineffective right midfielder Harrison Willis and equally ineffective striker Ollie Sharp, and brought on Andy Bird and Andy Malone respectively.

Seven minutes later, I took off another ineffective player, Wycombe midfielder Jim Evans on brought on Kane Brodie for his international debut.

This did the trick. We started to put the hosts under pressure, and a poor goal-kick by the Ukraine keeper came to Doyle, who took his opportunity brilliantly.

We had a couple of chances to grab a late winner, but a draw was a fair result.

Man of the Match: Steve Morris

Steve has had a great start to his international career. He made a number of good saves tonight, and prevented Ukraine from getting a second goal that could have both killed the game off, and our World Cup qualifying hopes.

Group 3 Table

We could do with Poland beating Ukraine in the next round of qualifiers, which will be in March.

We'll also face a trip to Poland that month, but before that, we'll host Belgium in a friendly in November.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Solid and expected result for Cyprus

Don't understand why you went full strength though - not saying that is a factor in the draw v Ukraine but that's the word on the street from some fans and pundits.......

Draw sounds a fair result but now what you needed after the Poland loss

Wanting Poland to beat Ukraine sounds like a man who never believed he could win this group

Any board message after the Ukraine result?

HUGE next game v Poland - interesting how their game goes with Ukraine though
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Redknapp69 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:41 pm Solid and expected result for Cyprus

Don't understand why you went full strength though - not saying that is a factor in the draw v Ukraine but that's the word on the street from some fans and pundits.......

Draw sounds a fair result but now what you needed after the Poland loss

Wanting Poland to beat Ukraine sounds like a man who never believed he could win this group

Any board message after the Ukraine result?

HUGE next game v Poland - interesting how their game goes with Ukraine though
With such an inexperienced squad, I'm keen to get what I consider my best XI available - from the particular pool that I'm choosing from - caps under their belts.

I'm not particularly confident about winning the group. Poland might not be a country with a long history of success, but their current squad is very good. They've reached the semi-finals of the last two major tournaments.

A good example is to compare the striker who made his debut against Cyprus - Ollie Sharp - to Rafal Bator, the Bournemouth striker that scored a hat-trick against us last month.

The board are 'satisfied'. My job doesn't appear to be under any kind of threat...at the moment!
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

November 2040

Post by Libertine73 »

Friendly: England vs Belgium

We suffered a humiliating defeat at Wembley.

The players were booed off the pitch after the final whistle, and I needed security to escort me out of the stadium in a wheely bin.

Reporters spotted me attempting to clamber out of the bin, but I slipped and fell back in. I was then surrounded by photographers taking pictures.

The following days headlines were predictable.

The Sun: UTTER RUBBISH!!!
The Mirror: BIN BASSETT NOW!!!
Daily Mail: TRASHED BY BELGIUM!!!
The Daily Star: WE'VE BIN WHEELY HUMILATED !!!

We actually played well during the opening thirty minutes. We were controlling the game, had created a couple of chances, and took a deserved lead when right midfielder Andy Bird fed Andy Malone. The King's Lynn striker went past three players, then unleashed a ferocious left-footed strike to give us a 1-0 lead with his first international goal.

From there it went downhill.

We were a goal behind at the break, and I made nine planned substitutions, giving four players their senior international debuts.

Our opponents were the better side throughout the game - they won the shot count 11-6 - but the scoreline was very harsh.

I'm glad that there's a four-month break until our next game - a tough trip to group leaders Poland.

Pundits are suggesting that I'll be sacked in the coming days.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

2 ways to look at that really

If no subs were made would it have been a closer game? But you chose to blood some new guys in (so to speak!) and didnt pay off

What is not ideal though is from your own choice/words - you are picking players that will die for the shirt - hopefully that doesn't come back to bite you if performances dont improve.........................and it ain't gonna get much easier coming up next in Poland - but maybe, just maybe..............could they get a result that nobody is expecting/predicting.............let's hope you are still at the wheel by then though!
Here2Win79
Update Team (Scout)

Post by Here2Win79 »

Really disappointed those red tops didn’t look down the list of scorers and use them for the headlines.

Sack Demol
Kiene for change
Time for Bassett to walk Delplank
Vaesen the music

It’s a shame that Andy ‘Bugsy’ Malone’s first international goal will be a footnote in history, but the good thing is it was a meaningless game and you’ll have a better idea of who you can trust for the upcoming group fixtures. Might need to make peace with a few from your opening campaign perhaps?
Strike Force One
Reserve Team Player

Post by Strike Force One »

I think the plan to play the lesser lights hasn't worked Bassettball. Kinda agreeing with Here2Win79 in the sense that peace with the some of the old guard might be required otherwise this could end very badly indeed which would be an absolute travesty.

Bassettball needs to succeed.
Libertine73
Squad Rotation Player

Post by Libertine73 »

Redknapp69 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:51 pm 2 ways to look at that really

If no subs were made would it have been a closer game? But you chose to blood some new guys in (so to speak!) and didnt pay off

What is not ideal though is from your own choice/words - you are picking players that will die for the shirt - hopefully that doesn't come back to bite you if performances dont improve.........................and it ain't gonna get much easier coming up next in Poland - but maybe, just maybe..............could they get a result that nobody is expecting/predicting.............let's hope you are still at the wheel by then though!
Here2Win79 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:49 pm Really disappointed those red tops didn’t look down the list of scorers and use them for the headlines.

Sack Demol
Kiene for change
Time for Bassett to walk Delplank
Vaesen the music

It’s a shame that Andy ‘Bugsy’ Malone’s first international goal will be a footnote in history, but the good thing is it was a meaningless game and you’ll have a better idea of who you can trust for the upcoming group fixtures. Might need to make peace with a few from your opening campaign perhaps?
Strike Force One wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:29 pm I think the plan to play the lesser lights hasn't worked Bassettball. Kinda agreeing with Here2Win79 in the sense that peace with the some of the old guard might be required otherwise this could end very badly indeed which would be an absolute travesty.

Bassettball needs to succeed.

Interview With Gary Lineker

GL: Mike, that was a shocking display against Belgium. This was against the backdrop of losing to Poland in our opening qualifying game, and dropping points against Ukraine. Is it time for you to step aside?

MB: Certainly not, Gary. The Belgium result was very disappointing, but it was only a friendly. We have dropped points, but things could look very different if we beat Poland in March.

GL: But you're not picking the best players available. Good players like Mark Reeves, Nathan Campbell and Olly Stephens have been shunted out, and their replacements just don't seem to be good enough.

MB: Listen Gary. Those players underperformed in Euro 2040. For whatever reason, it just didn't happen for them. Yes, I could stick with them players. We might reach the World Cup Finals. But then we could see the same again, in that those players freeze on the big occasion, and we're on the first plane home.

Before I took this job, I spent thirteen years toiling away in the lower leagues, before having six years in the Championship. Everyone ridiculed my long-ball approach and my 442 formation, but it brought me success. This included two major domestic trophies.

The players that I have worked with throughout my club career might not have been the most glamorous, but they gave me their heart and soul. I owe it to myself to stick with my principles, Gary. I don't want to look back and regret having compromised my beliefs.

If I fail, I'll fail doing it my way...
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Oooooof - VERY much holding your ground!

Die on your own sword responses!

Hopw is Gary still going BTW?!

HUGE game next v Poland