It's all about Madeira

Moderator: Stories Team

cescmate
Hot Prospect for the Future

It's all about Madeira

Post by cescmate »

Good morning everyone,

I'm writing you from the captivating city of Manchester where I've been put in charge of the Sky-Blue side of town.
I've been assigned a brand-new challenge that will take me approximately 15 seasons of pure pleasure. The challenge consists in taking the Portuguese make-believe legend Tó Madeira to our beautiful club and facilitate him to score as many goals as humanly (or should I say "phantomly") possible throughout a hopefully long and succesful career.
The bare minimum amount that I target is 1,000 goals. Anything less will effectively be considered as a failure by my personal rigid standards, regardless of what the Board make of it.

The first challenge is to actually sign Tó Madeira, which I thought would be a piece of cake with D1 top dogs Manchester City, but the first part of the quest already proves more difficult than expected, as literally all of Portugal & Spain are trying to obtain his valuable signature!
To make absolutely sure about it, I offer him "important first team player" status and double his wage demands and requested sign-on bonus. I will not allow myself to trip over the first hurdle straight away!
With about twenty different clubs offering him contracts, it's still a nervy affair though and I'm genuinely delighted when about two weeks after our contract offer to the player, Tó Madeira finally announces his decision to move to Manchester. We wire the handsome fee of 150K to CD Gouveia and I hope it will allow them to finally renovate their hopelessly outdated cantine... Anyway, welcome Tó!

Immediately I start making preparations to make Tó feel at home in the best possible way. Apart from arranging a lovely set of Portuguese tiles, or "azalejo's" as Tó calls it so wonderfully, for his new appartment, I also bring in a couple of other Portuguese speaking players. Hugo Pinheiro comes over for 425K from Marinhense to defend our sticks, and the Gabonese goal scoring machine Henri Antchouet comes over from Leixões for not even 200K. Absolute bargains! Antchouet will occupy one of the AM/F roles in behind Madeira, and I hope for once he will mainly focus on assisting in stead of scoring goals himself.

As expected, we get off to a flyer in Division One as Manchester City is much too strong for any competition in this league. WBA are our closest rivals but we've not even reached the end of March when we can already celebrate the title. We would end the first season on an incredible 124 points (40 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats), scoring 141 goals and conceding 49.

But it's not about what Manchester City did of course, cause frankly, who cares right? Tó Madeira, that's the one we're concerned about! Well, he started his Manchester career in great fashion as we might expect, BUT, at the end of October, disaster strikes! Madeira suffers a torn groin muscle in our 5-2 win over Bradford, but not before bagging 4 goals in the match of course, and he's out for three whole months!
And so Madeira is gameless and goalless all through November, December & January, but of course he marks his return to the starting XI in February with a great goal in his first game.

Madeira ends his first season with 41 goals across all competitions, but I'm sure he would've had at least 60 without the injury. So, I am left with mixed feelings about the opening season. The main thing, though, to end on a positive, is the fact that he settled very quickly in Manchester.

Next season will be much tougher though as we face our first PL season and although we have a lot of great young talents in our side, I doubt they are fully ready for the intense action of the Premier League. Our board is not very confident either, as they expect us to "put up a brave fight against relegation" :-/

For those interested in the tactical side, I played a very attacking 2-1-3-3-1 formation throughout the season with 2 centre backs (Said & Prutton), a defensive midfielder (Mild), a central midfielder (Wellens), a left (Barsom) and right winger (Selakovic), three attacking midfielders/forwards (Källström, Bakircioglü and the aforementioned Antchouet) and of course our striker, the main man Tó Madeira.

cescmate

It's all about Madeira

Post by cescmate »

Honourable mentions for the first season must go to:

* Hakan Mild, average rating of 7.70 and 10 assists from the DM C position!
* Richard Wellens, average rating of 7.88 and a remarkable 12 goals and 13 assists from the MC position!
* Stefan Selakovic, average rating of 7.52 and no less than 17 assists from his right wing
* Kim Källström, average rating of 7.53 and scoring 18 goals + providing 9 assists from attacking midfield
* Kennedy Bakircioglü, what a God! average rating of 7.85 (!), scoring 20 goals and assisting 17 times from attacking midfield!
* Henri Antchouet, the Gabonease goals coring machine! average rating of 7.73, 24 goals + 12 assists
... as for Tó Madeira, 8.54 average rating (sensational!), 41 goals, 4 assists, 11 x MOTM
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

It's all about Madeira

Post by Redknapp69 »

That's some crazy font going on there!

Any screenies in this story?
cescmate

It's all about Madeira

Post by cescmate »

Redknapp69 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:56 pm That's some crazy font going on there!

Any screenies in this story?
Don't think I'll be clipping in screenshots on this one, cost me too much trouble in the last one with the whole uploading via a seperate website thingy... in stead you could follow my Twitter @cescmate where I do share CM 01/02 screenies quite regularly!

Wanted to try something new with the font ;-)
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

It's all about Madeira

Post by Redknapp69 »

Love the font although hard work on the eyes

Lack of screenies may It's probably unlikely I may follow (and I might go blind with the font :lol:)

Ebfatz may already be following you from our CM Twitter handle - him and General Smuts love the online stories/challenges :ok:
cescmate

It's all about Madeira

Post by cescmate »

We've reached the end of season 2 (2002/03) and our first season in the Premier League. As expected we were off to a rough start, hanging in and around the relegation zone for the first eight games or so. The FA calendar boys didn't make life easy for us, it has to be said, as we started with our red neighbours at home (who would go on to be Champions this season), and then Leeds away. The fact that I very stubbornly held on to our extremely attacking 2-1-3-3-1 formation didn't help either of course..

Tó Madeira had an equally difficult start, managing only 3 goals in the first 7 games but he would gradually improve from there, adaptating slowly but certainly to the standards of the Premier League. He would eventually finish his first season on 37 goals across all competitions and finished golden boot in the Premier League ahead of Van Nistelrooij and Henry. Not too shabby...

Of course, those numbers will need to go up drastically if we are to reach our minimum target of a 1,000 career goals! But I expect us to already be a much better PL side next season.

Things start going better as soon as I tweaked the tactics a little bit. Against strong opposition, the two wingers would become two attacking full backs, and the two outside attacking midfielders with forward arrows would become central midfielders with attacking arrows. This helped us to great results against Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

Just on the last day of the championship we jumped to 7th place, our highest position of the season and we grasped the last UEFA Cup ticket, which could prove vital in Tó's further quest for goals!

So anyway, it's now 78 goals in two seasons for Madeira. We can build on that!