20th Anniversary Fantasy Football Data Update

Moderator: Update Team (Director)

SteveHarle
Reserve Team Player

Post by SteveHarle »

Ever wondered what it would be like if Luis Suarez partnered Fernando Torres at Liverpool?
Ever wondered how many goals Harry Kane would score if he had Luka Modric, Rafael van der Vaart and Gareth Bale behind him?
Ever tried to pick a starting 11 for Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus or.... Leyton Orient over the past 20 years?

Now is your chance to find all of these things out...

I’ve started work on a CM 01/02 20th Anniversary Fantasy Football Data Update which I plan to share on or before CM hits the grand old age of 20, next year. I have started with a blank database and I am populating each team with club legends & cult heroes who played for clubs over the past 20 years (ie, from 2001 to date only). My goal is to create a different from norm database and a new way of playing the game whilst giving people the chance to reminisce about some legendary players over the past 20 years.

The project is evolving as ideas come into my head, but here are some early details below:

- All players have the same DOB. They are all 20. The reason for this is for fairness and longevity of the game.
- All players have no history, likes/dislikes or preferences.
- All players have 0 international caps. This was just out of curiosity to see how it pans out (particularly for those who have second nationalities)
- All players are set at their prime, ie their CA and PA are at the highest level based on how they performed when at their club. This is based on a mixture of stats and interpretation so of course open to debate…
- Players do exist in the database more than once but they are of different quality, for example Robbie Keane plays for both Tottenham and LA Galaxy. The Tottenham one is a “prime” Keane, the LA Galaxy one isn’t quite as good, but still a top MLS level player.
- The majority (if not all, I’m undecided on this at the moment) of players will have 0 stats which means everything will be random. The reason for this is so that no two games will be the same and it will require you to think and maybe make some tough decisions.
- Managers are the most successful managers over the 20 years, eg Manchester United will be managed by Sir Alex Ferguson, or fan requests.
- The rest of the staff… I want to populate using YOU, THE FANS OF CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER! (See Point 2 below for more information)
- League structures, I thought should I go ODB or Current? I decided on neither. I have based on club performance over the 20 years to place teams in leagues, so you may not find your club in the division you’d expect! Likewise, this helps me with the problem we have with the Official Data Updates where Leagues have more/less teams now than in 2001, eg MLS only having 12 spaces – these will be filled by the top 12 performing teams over the past 20 years, the others will be in the league below.
- Some now extinct teams, will exist in the database. EG, the likes of Bury & Chivas USA.

The aim is to create a “Fantasy Football” experience. It’s not designed to be a detailed 100% accurate and realistic database like the Official Data Updates, it’s also not designed to have loads of hidden prospects so you can build an all star team for 4/5 years in. It’s just a bit of fun with loads of good players. The way the leagues are structured you could end up with a superstar playing in a lower league team who is very affordable to buy. There is a different mindset required to play this database. The most successful teams over the past 20 years are packed with top talent (think of the players Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United etc have had over the past 20 years) so the toughest part of this is not necessarily who to sign, but picking a starting 11 and keeping your squad happy, you may not need many signings!

Now… If this interests you, I have a couple of asks:

1. Please don’t fill this thread up with “is it ready yet?” or "when is it going to be ready?" … it will be ready when it’s ready and I won’t respond to these questions.

2. If you would like to help me, that would be MASSIVELY appreciated as I want this to be populated with data provided by FANS of clubs. All I need from you is:

- Team Name,
- Player Names and if possible their positions. That's it.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be the BEST players. Club legends & cult heroes is what i'm after. That one season wonder on the left wing, that legendary shithouse in defence, the lad up top who had cracking banter with the fans… Likewise, this isn’t limited to the best clubs, if your local team is in the database, I’d like to fill their team up! So if its Real Madrid, Red Bull New York, Reggiana or Rotherham... Your help comes with a reward… a place in the final database! If you provide me with at least a starting 11 for a club, I’ll add you into the database as a staff member.

As at today, I have 1,281 players in the database so it is VERY early days. As I start to fill up a few teams and get I’ll post a few teaser screen shots and provide some progress updates, including when I expect to be finished but to manage your expectations now - don’t expect anything until next year!

Comments, questions and most of all, your contributions are all very welcome.
Redknapp69
Reserve Team Player

Post by Redknapp69 »

Do you want people to put forward their suggestions now?

If so and multiple people choose the same team e.g Spurs - do you then collate all responses and decide who will be put in?

When people do provide a suggestion - would you want some context behind the players in question? i.e biggest appearance make, top scorer, fans favourite, cult hero etc or are you not really wanting/bothered by any additional comments?
AMC
Hot Prospect for the Future

Post by AMC »

How many do you want in a squad mate? I'll stick down my Liverpool, Rangers and Southport (if needed) squads.
SteveHarle
Reserve Team Player

Post by SteveHarle »

@Redknapp69 - Yes please do. I want differing opinions so if more than one person does a team that's no problem at all, it will reinforce whether the right players are in there if two people think Lee Trundle deserves to be in there ahead of Wilfried Bony, or both say Michu... it's all helpful. No detail required (unless people want to!), just club, names and if possible position is perfect, I can do the rest.

@AMC - I want to try and cap squads in/around the 25-35 - but if you give me more or less than that its no problem at all it gives me more data to work with. 25-35 won't be possible I know for some of the lesser known teams (as long as they have a starting XI and a few subs that's enough to satisfy me :)) also for some of the top teams it might actually be harder to keep it at that. As an example, I have created a squad of 33 for Spurs, that includes 3 keepers and cover in all positions. The key is not to have teams too top heavy in certain places, ie I don't want a squad of 25 and have 11 strikers if that makes sense? That links in nicely to Redknapp69's point, if I have say 3 people giving me a squad of Rangers players I can use all of that info to make sure I have the right blend in the squad as it's likely there will be some of the same player but some different! I want to try and get as many "fan requests" in as possible.
AMC

Post by AMC »

No worries mate, shall I post the squads in here for you then? Will try have three for each position and then a couple extras to take it up to 35.
Redknapp69
Reserve Team Player

Post by Redknapp69 »

I'll throw a Pool and Swans list over.

If you need help on any teams then I guess people can maybe "pitch in" on some of them (albeit not being able to name a full squad) but maybe just a few suggestions would help you for a lot of teams rather than people thinking they have to provide a full squad?
SteveHarle
Reserve Team Player

Post by SteveHarle »

@AMC - Top man, thanks and yes on this thread is fine as I can keep track of what is posted.

@Redknapp69 - Absolutely, every little (no matter how little even if it's just one name!) helps. As I get more players in the database what i'll do is perhaps start calling out some teams in various countries that are a little sparse of players. Talking of one name contributions... I couldn't resist putting Michu in already as he popped into my head the other week, he's the only Swan currently haha!
AMC

Post by AMC »

Liverpool,

GK - Alisson, Reina, Dudek
DL - Robertson, Riise, Traore
DC - Hyypia, van Dijk, Carragher, Agger, Henchoz, Skrtel
DR - TAA, Finnan, Glen Johnson
MC - Gerrard (C), Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Hamann, McAllister, Henderson, Milner, Luis Garcia, Fabinho, Wijnaldum
SC - Suarez, Torres, Fowler, Owen, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Kuyt, Origi

That's 35, the following unlucky to be left out,

Def - Gomez, Aurelio, Arbeloa
Mid - Murphy, Maxi Rodrigues, Coutinho, Sterling
SC - Heskey, Sturridge

Apart from Heskey none of the rest were pivotal in winning trophies even if they are probably better players than some selected, while for Gomez I think it's a bit too early compared to what the other centre backs did.

Staff - Klopp, Benitez and Houllier, I imagine you can put their assistants as coaches as well.
Last edited by AMC on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Rangers

GK - Klos, McGregor, Alexander
DL - Numan, Papac, Wallace
DC - Amoruso, Moore, Andrews, Weir, Cuellar, Bougherra
DR - Ricksen, Hutton, Whittaker
MC - B. Ferguson, Thomson, Mendes, Lee McCulloch, Edu, S. Davis, Adam, Hemdani
LW - McCann, Lovenkrands, Lafferty
SC - Mols, Jelavic, Prso, Boyd, Miller, Arveladze
RW - R. de Boer, Novo, Naismith

Staff - Walter Smith, Alex McLeish and Dick Advocaat, once again you can have their assistants as coaches.
Last edited by AMC on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveHarle
Reserve Team Player

Post by SteveHarle »

These are perfect, thanks AMC.

Just trying to work out a starting XI i'd go with from that Liverpool squad... jeez who goes up top?! Especially given most of the effective formations I've used in CM only have 1 striker! Argh! :lol:
AMC

Post by AMC »

This is what I'd go for,

GK - Alisson
DL - Robertson
DC - Hyypia
DC- van Dijk
DR - TAA,
DMC - Mascherano
CM - Alonso
CM - Gerrard (C)
LW - Mane
SC- Suarez
RW - Salah

Suarez gets the nod over Torres for me, that 2013/14 was ridiculous from him.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Spent far too much time mulling over this Southport squad :lol:

GK - Steve Dickinson, Tony McMillan

Def - Earl Davis, Shaun Gray, Rob Marsh-Evans, Kevin Lee, Chris Lever, Adam Flynn, Farrell Kilbane, Jimmy Williams, Jerome Fitzgerald, Neil Fitzhenry, Steve Pickford, Chris Lane,

Mid - Dominic Morley, Liam Blakeman, Mark Duffy, Carl Baker, Chris Price, Kevin Lynch, Ashley Winn, Michael Powell, Matty McGinn, Alan Moogan, Shaun Whalley, Karl Ledsham, Kevin Leadbetter, Paul Barratt, Robbie Booth

Strikers - Chris Simm, Steve Daly, Ciaran Kilheeney, Tony Gray, Terry Fearns, Neil Robinson

Basically the Conference North winning sides of 04/05 and 09/10 with a couple of other long servants, tried to get a 3rd keeper in but Dickinson (353) and McMillan (241) basically were the keepers for half of the 20 years, and after that no one was the keeper than more than two seasons (sometimes 2 or 3 a season) so made no sense putting one of these in ahead of an outfield player who'd played for 3 or 4 seasons.

Only one choice for manager too, Liam Watson was manager for both Conference North winning sides and has managed the club in over 500 games, including now his fourth stint as manager of the club.
Last edited by AMC on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHarle
Reserve Team Player

Post by SteveHarle »

Love it, thanks! Gwan the 'port!
ebfatz

Post by ebfatz »

How dare you not have Peter Crouch in your Liverpool squads!

I'll sort a Newcastle one at some point for you. Could potentially stretch to a Charlton one as well!
AMC

Post by AMC »

:lol:
AMC

Post by AMC »

Made a couple of amendments, forgot the "first" season for the 20 years would be 01/02 (obviously :lol:) by which time Jorg Albertz had left Rangers so Brahim Hemdani replaces him, while Markus Babbel sadly only played a couple more times for Liverpool after the 00/01 treble winning side due to contracting Guillain-Barre syndrome so the legend that is Djimi Traore replaces him, just pipping Fabio Aurelio and Alvaro Arbeloa.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Another amendment for Rangers as van Bronckhorst had gone to Arsenal for the 01/02 season so Lee McCulloch replaces him.
Redknapp69
Reserve Team Player

Post by Redknapp69 »

Swansea

GK - Łukasz Fabiański, Roger Freestone, Michel Vorm
DL – Ben Davies, Neil Taylor
DC – Ashley Williams, Alfie Mawson, Kris O’Leary, Alan Tate, Garry Monk,
DR - Angel Rangel, Sam Ricketts (RB/LB)
MC – Leon Britton, Joe Allen, Roberto Martinez, Renato Sanches, Ferry Bodde, Jonathan de Guzmán, Darren Pratley
AM - Gylfi Sigurðsson, Stephen Dobbie
AM (L) – Daniel James, Andy Robinson,
AM (R) – Nathan Dyer
AM/FWD (L) – Scott Sinclair
FWD – Lee Trundle, MIchu, Andre Ayew, Fabio Borini
SC – Wilfried Bony, Adebayo Akinfenwa, James Thomas, Fernando Llorente

Staff – Brendan Rogers, Alan Curtis, Brian Flynn, Michael Laudrup, Roberto Martinez
Dermotron

Post by Dermotron »

Hopefully someone likes Le Mans and requests the 2012 very of Tony Huston :D
ebfatz

Post by ebfatz »

Newcastle

GK - Shay Given, Steve Harper, Tim Krul,

RB - Stephen Carr, Mathieu Debuchy,

LB - Olivier Bernard, Jose Enrique, Paul Dummett

CB - Jonathan Woodgate, Nikos Dabizas, Steven Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Jamaal Lascelles

MC - Rob Lee, Kieran Dyer, Gary Speed, Scott Parker, Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, Georginio Wijnaldum,

MR - Nolberto Solano, James Milner, Hatem Ben Arfa,

ML - Laurent Robert, Jonás Gutiérrez,

ST - Alan Shearer, Shola Ameobi, Obafemi Martins, Andy Carroll, Papiss Cisse, Demba Ba, Ayoze Perez.

Bonus Player - Isaac Okoronkwo (had him on trial in the 2002 season!)