Installing a Tactic FAQ

We have provided installation instructions and FAQs for each of our downloads. Please take the time to read these then post in the relevant section if you have not found a solution for your issue.

Moderator: Technical Support Team

Mark
Chairman

Installing a Tactic FAQ

Post by Mark »

Installation Instructions (Windows 10)

- Download the tactic or tactics pack by clicking its filename in the opening post beneath 'Download Link'.
- Once downloaded, click on the zip file and it will open in File Explorer.
- Extract the contents to a preferred location on your device.
- Open the folder and you will see the tactic file with a file extension of .tct. Highlight the .tct file/s and click 'Copy'.
- Navigate to the 'tactics' folder within the Championship Manager 2001/2002 directory. Usually located (unless you specified otherwise during the installation of the game) in 'This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Championship Manager 01-02 > tactics.
- Inside the 'tactics' folder, paste the file you copied in step 4.
- You may be prompted with a 'Destination Folder Access Denied' error. Tick 'Do this for all current items' then click 'Continue'.
- Go back to the Championship Manager 2001/2002 directory and click 'cm0102.exe'.
- Open or create a new save game.
- Click on your squad and then click 'Tactics'.
- Click the 'Tactics' pull down list and then click 'Load'.
- Select your tactic and click 'OK'.
- Congratulations, you have loaded the tactic!
Mark
Chairman

Installing a Tactic or Tactic Pack FAQ

Post by Mark »

Have you followed the instructions to the letter, watched the tutorial video and read through the solutions provided below?

If these solutions have not helped you with your issue, please use this thread to report your issue and in order for us to help you, please be as detailed as possible! Once a solution has been found, we will add it to the Q&A's below for others who may encounter similar issues.

Q: I can't see a Tactics folder in the default Championship Manager directory (This PC > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Championship Manager 2001-2002)?
A: You will need to create one and label it as 'tactics'. Any .tct files you have then need to be saved into this folder.

Q: How can I use the default tactics of the game for myself?
A: This can be enabled within the Championship manager 01/02 Editor. Note that this option only exists in the 3.9.68 version of the editor. Once you have opened the editor, click 'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Special' > tick 'Preset tactics' and click 'OK'. Be sure to save the editor before you exit it, and also ensure that you run the editor as administrator. Start a new game and when you then go to the Tactics pull-down list, you will then be able to select a default tactic from the option 'Load Preset'.
A: You can also copy the the default tactic from the 'data' folder into the 'tactics' folder. Then open the .pct file with a Hex Editor and change the first four bytes with 5E EC 98 00. Save the file with the extension .tct and you will then be able to load it in your game.

Q: I get a 'Destination Folder Access Denied' error when attempting to copy a tactic to the tactics folder?
A: This is normal as it is a Windows security prompt. Simply click 'Continue' to ensure the tactics are copied successfully.

Q: I think the default AI tactics are getting too easy, how can I make it more challenging?
A: Check out the tactic packs in the 'Tactics' download forum. There are some harder AI tactic packs that you can use to really test yourself.

Q: I installed the harder AI tactic pack but find it too difficult. How can I get the default AI tactics pack back?
A: The default tactics are available in the 'Tactics' download forum, where you can restore the default .pct files.
jonahjones
Youth Team Player

Applying downloaded tactic

Post by jonahjones »

Hoping for some assistance, I've downloaded one of the tactics but when going into formation and Load preset I can't see it anywhere.
Any ideas on how I can use the downloaded tactic?

Thanks
Mark
Chairman

Applying downloaded tactic

Post by Mark »

jonahjones wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:22 pm Hoping for some assistance, I've downloaded one of the tactics but when going into formation and Load preset I can't see it anywhere.
Any ideas on how I can use the downloaded tactic?

Thanks
Have you saved it to the tactics folder?
jamesgowing29
Youth Team Player

Installing a Tactic

Post by jamesgowing29 »

hi ihave downloaded this tactic pack and i have put it into the tactic folder then i open up the game and there is no tactics there
Mark
Chairman

Installing a Tactic

Post by Mark »

jamesgowing29 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 pm hi ihave downloaded this tactic pack and i have put it into the tactic folder then i open up the game and there is no tactics there
Did you extract all of the tactics into the tactics folder? I.e. don't just put the zipped file in there.