[STORY] Memoirs Part 3: The Thinking Man's Alternative

The Hall of Fame consists of memorable topics, stories, CM 01/02 Legends, awards and members who have made a huge contribution to CM 01/02 over the years,
samsami
Stories Team

The Thinking Man's Alternative

Post by samsami »

Kingsley wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:02 pm Just 3 points above Falkirk now
Can’t buy a win or even score a goal.
Must win games against those around us coming up
Horrible games to watch
It's not getting easier. Howie misses Houston and McNiven cannot make us forget McVey.

It's going to take time to mould a new team.
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Redknapp69 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:08 am Not getting much luck at the moment - in last few games you deserve at least a point or more and picked up 0/9

Keep plugging away and the tide will turn
Let's hope so. Morale isn't very high.
Deleted User 86

Post by Deleted User 86 »

samsami wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Kingsley wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:02 pm Just 3 points above Falkirk now
Can’t buy a win or even score a goal.
Must win games against those around us coming up
Horrible games to watch
It's not getting easier. Howie misses Houston and McNiven cannot make us forget McVey.

It's going to take time to mould a new team.
3 points off bottom. Time is something we don’t have.
Deleted User 86

Einstein said doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. What is changing ?

Supporter club meeting tonight. Could be interesting
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Not a very good start to December

We started the month of December with an away game against Dundee FC at Dens Park Stadium. Now Dundee were just one place above us in the table. So not an easy game, but we could hardly afford to lose this one as we had to play Hearts next and after that we would be playing Rangers twice!

Saturday 2nd December 2000

"Another game in which we defended well but failed to find the net..."

"And again it took our opponents only one goal to decide the match. Don Hutchison scored a few minutes before half-time and our forward line looked so inept and devoid of ideas that we brought on Lennon and Britton after the break."

"It made no difference whatsoever. We only had one shot on target and that was a long shot by Scott McNiven! Even Willie Howie was anonymous today."

"Arthur, Hardie and Britton were our best-rated players. Morale is low these days..."

► Show Spoiler

"With Hearts and St.Mirren both winning their games and with Falkirk and Kilmarnock picking up points the situation is getting worse for us. And some teams will be playing their games in hand on Wednesday..."

Wednesday 6th December 2000

"Kilmarnock defeated Falkirk today, which means that we dropped one more place in the League table..."

Thursday 7th December 2000

"It seems perfectly clear to me that the basic problem is the lack of money. In October Falkirk spent over £3M for two new players while we don't have any transfer money. We even had to sell Liam McVey and Scott Houston! If this situation does not change very soon there is no way we can stay above Falkirk in the League table."

"I suppose I was a little too direct in the way I addressed the issue with the Board tonight. After all, the Dutch seem to be famed for their direct way of communicating..."

Deleted User 86

Taxi for Sunogo.
Dundee supporters were singing "Sacked in the morning"
1 goal in 5 games since we beat Kilmarnock.
It doesn't matter how good the defense is when you can't score.
Already in the playoffs. This is only heading in one direction
Supporters club meeting was very angry. Why do we not try something different.
This system clearly isn't working. Lets show some fire in the belly and gerr intea 'em
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Kingsley wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:32 am Taxi for Sunogo.
Dundee supporters were singing "Sacked in the morning"
1 goal in 5 games since we beat Kilmarnock.
It doesn't matter how good the defense is when you can't score.
Already in the playoffs. This is only heading in one direction
Supporters club meeting was very angry. Why do we not try something different.
This system clearly isn't working. Lets show some fire in the belly and gerr intea 'em
I understand that the supporters are upset. But we are doing all we can to try and avoid relegation.

And, by the way, there are no playoffs this season. That was only last year, so that the SPL would be enlarged to twelve teams for the 2000–01 season. From this year on only one team will be relegated. But without transfer funds we cannot compete with the likes of Falkirk or Dundee Utd who can buy the players they need.

But let's have faith in the team, that they are ready for this difficult challenge.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

That was very much a bad day at the office :(
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Redknapp69 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:55 am That was very much a bad day at the office :(
Indeed :)
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

And so another chapter ends

And, as they say, the rest is history. The next week we played Heart of Midlothian at Firhill Park and although Robert Dunn scored a fine goal we lost this game as well...

Remarkably, we held Rangers to a 1-1 draw in our midweek game in hand. Normally a point against Rangers would be a reason to celebrate, but unfortunately it was too little, too late...

The following Saturday our scrappy game at Tannadice Park ended in a boring stalemate. Perhaps a win over Dundee Utd after that draw against Rangers could still have changed the tide, but it was not to be...

We went on to lose at Ibrox Stadium. And again, we were not humiliated and we defended well, but a narrow loss is still a loss...

Losing 3-0 to Falkirk was unforgivable, of course. Lennon lost his temper and he was sent off in the second half...

We actually won our first game in January, but only after our opponents had their goalkeeper sent off so that McLean could score from the spot...

That same month we lost 2-0 to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park. And Killie played the entire second half with ten men...

The next week we only narrowly defeated Whitehill Welfare in the Scottish Cup Third Round. Only 3400 fans showed up for this match...

During those dismal winter weeks I had insisted that the Board would find us some transfer money. I refused to take 'no' for an answer. And, of course, you already know the outcome. The chairman spoke very kind words, but behind the scenes other words were spoken as well...

► Show Spoiler
Deleted User 86

It has to be said that the form was horrific
The Kilmarnock and Falkirk results were unforgivable.
The season was only heading in one direction.

Lets hope we stop this foreign manager nonsense. Lets get one of the unemployed usual suspects from the managerial roundabout.
Long balls up to dwarf strikers. Defenders who if they can't get the ball, get the man. Midfielders who do a lot of running around to no purpose.
It's what we are used to. It's what the supporters demand.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

Well - that escalated quickly!

Were you bottom of the table at the time?

I think it all went t!ts up when Houston and McVey went

But as Kingsley said about 5 points from 21 in this update and considering the others was putting you under pressure but don't think you would have been sacked if you didn't push the boat on asking for cash

Very enjoyable story though - thought you did very well to be fair :ok:
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Redknapp69 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:02 pm Well - that escalated quickly!

Were you bottom of the table at the time?

I think it all went t!ts up when Houston and McVey went

But as Kingsley said about 5 points from 21 in this update and considering the others was putting you under pressure but don't think you would have been sacked if you didn't push the boat on asking for cash

Very enjoyable story though - thought you did very well to be fair :ok:
Thanks!

And yes, we were just about at the bottom of the table.

Without Houston our forward line seemed toothless and even Howie stopped delivering. McVey was indeed also invaluable.
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Kingsley wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 am It has to be said that the form was horrific
The Kilmarnock and Falkirk results were unforgivable.
The season was only heading in one direction.

Lets hope we stop this foreign manager nonsense. Lets get one of the unemployed usual suspects from the managerial roundabout.
Long balls up to dwarf strikers. Defenders who if they can't get the ball, get the man. Midfielders who do a lot of running around to no purpose.
It's what we are used to. It's what the supporters demand.
Quote from The Blizzard - The Football Quarterly: Issue Twenty Six:

The myth of Feyenoord being primarily about hard work eventually led to the club and its fans nearly accepting that it was alright not to win so long as their players "worked hard"
ebfatz
Social Media Team

Post by ebfatz »

Well that did indeed escalate quickly.

What made you make the second ultimatum knowing that they would refuse it?
Find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
Search
: TheEbFatz

samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

ebfatz wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:04 pm Well that did indeed escalate quickly.

What made you make the second ultimatum knowing that they would refuse it?
An ultimatum is an ultimatum. Without cash we would not have been able to avoid relegation.

ultimatum
/ʌltɪˈmeɪtəm/
noun
a final demand or statement of terms, the rejection of which will result in retaliation or a breakdown in relations.
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

Famous last words

I left Glasgow feeling rather depressed when my stint at The Jags ended and I vowed that I would end my football manager career.

Of course I didn't. And to find out more you can read the next part of my memoirs here
Last edited by samsami on Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
leovii
Reserve Team Player

Post by leovii »

This journey looks almost impossible some games. are you playing against really strong nww tactics or wib wob ones?
samsami
Stories Team

Post by samsami »

leovii wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm This journey looks almost impossible some games. are you playing against really strong nww tactics or wib wob ones?
With a default tactic against the strongest AI WibWob pack I know of. Also in the sequel to this: A Moth Drawn to a Flame.
leovii
Reserve Team Player

Post by leovii »

samsami wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:27 pm
leovii wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:06 pm This journey looks almost impossible some games. are you playing against really strong nww tactics or wib wob ones?
With a default tactic against the strongest AI WibWob pack I know of. Also in the sequel to this: A Moth Drawn to a Flame.
This is very tough with smaller rep teams unless you get very lucky with your recruitment or player development. I was thinking why you go on long runs struggling to score I know why now haha. it's a great idea though for long term play

Yeah i'll check out the other thread as well
meter99

Re: [STORY] Memoirs Part 3: The Thinking Man's Alternative

Post by meter99 »

Thank you for this story. Great stuff , when ever I start to loose interest I come back to this and get refocused. Hope you do another Scottish League story, perhaps one of the Celtic kind!
samsami
Stories Team

Re: [STORY] Memoirs Part 3: The Thinking Man's Alternative

Post by samsami »

meter99 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:50 am Thank you for this story. Great stuff , when ever I start to loose interest I come back to this and get refocused. Hope you do another Scottish League story, perhaps one of the Celtic kind!
Thank you!

There may be another (seventh) episode yet.