Attempting to Dominate England as an American

Threads that are no longer required will be moved into the 'Archives' as opposed to being deleted permanently from our website.
SoccerFann89

Attempting to Dominate England as an American

Post by SoccerFann89 »

Some of you may think that Americans just sit around and eat McDonald's all day. Not me. In fact, I'm running a soccer club.

I've been looking at these 3rd Division clubs, and I thought: "These teams suck." I decided to take over one of them and attempt to bring them into Premier League status. Just for good measure, I wanted to win them a title in the Prem. Wish me luck.

Using a random generator, I was given... Rushden & Diamonds. So naturally, I was given the job, as the club owner believed I was better than their old manager.

In my next post, I'll show the roster and I'll get started on the preseason frendlies.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Re: Attempting to Dominate England as an American

Post by Redknapp69 »

Good luck with the new story

I'm sure Rushden and Diamonds are one of the "big boys" in that division on the original database?
SoccerFann89

Post by SoccerFann89 »

Well, they're coming off a promotion from the Football Conference, and in the real 01-02 season, they placed 6th, which might mean they're a "big boy."
SoccerFann89

Post by SoccerFann89 »

ROSTER

Here's our roster:

By the looks of it, it'll be hard to decide who our main goalkeeper will be. Tony Pennock and Billy Turley are almost the same age, being just 3 years apart. Luckily, these friendlies will let us find out.

Speaking of friendlies, 3 of our opponents in the friendlies are Northern Irish.

We've got quite a few options on defense. They all have decent to good skills, like Jim Rodwell having 14 Tackling and Ray Warburton having 15 Tackling. They'll be great options for when we're winning against a tough opponent and we need to play hard to win.

We have 6 players on midfield that could be a good choice. If we're talking about guys who can pass cleanly and fluidly, we're talking about Simon Wormull. But if we're talking about guys who can play defense just as well as the midfielders, we're talking about Greg Lincoln.

As for attacking midfielders, Rushden has 2 (1 right now due to Burgess being with the England U19 team). I might not use a formation with attacking midfielders to start, as Brady's skills don't show much good (other than set pieces).

Finally, we have the 3 strikers. I'll initially go with Duane Darby, as he has some great skills, like 13 Heading, 13 Finishing, and 13 Acceleration. I'll also use Partridge and Sigere as backups for when Darby isn't doing his best.

1ST FRIENDLY- 19 July 2001 VS CAMBRIDGE UNITED

On the 17th, West Bromwich Albion offered me $45,000 for my AM Andy Burgess. He has some solid skills, and giving him away might be a bad decision. Besides, the only thing I get in return would be a lump sum of cash. Also, WBA's available transfer players do not have the best skills. I eventually accepted the offer, as Burgess is worth just about the same amount.

Finally, onto my first match as manager. We visited 2nd Division side Cambridge United, who has a squad filled with kids. I eventually went with this lineup with the 4-1-2-1-2 cut:

FIRST HALF
MINUTE 1: We had a chance in the very first minute, but were unable to complete it as a shot from Partridge went off the post and gone out. They also got a 1st-minute opportunity, but Dave Kitson headed it wide.
MINUTE 5: Armand One got a shot on us, but Pennock did very well to save it.
MINUTE 7: After consulting the linesman, Cambridge United does not get a penalty from Steven Lodge after Mustafa knocks over Fleming.
MINUTE 12: Just when all was well, Terry Fleming sends a hot cross right into the net to beat out Pennock and give Cambridge United the 1-0 lead.
MINUTE 19: Duane Darby almost levels it, but he sends a header too high.
MINUTE 23: Pennock is beaten again, this time by Tony Scully for a 2-0 Cambridge lead. Time to turn up the defense.

Okay, the rest of the game was just about boring. Dave Kitson of Cambridge does get booked, and Neil Mustoe scores for Cambridge, and Demba Traore scores for Cambridge, and we get shut out 4-0. :cry:

What I was hoping to be a calm and friendly game turned into a massacre for Cambridge United. Here's more for those of you wanting it:

Friendly number 2 in Linfield, NI is up next. Will Billy Turley do a better job at goalkeeping than Tony Pennock? We'll see.

Redknapp69
Marketing Team

Post by Redknapp69 »

• Get Wormull as playmaker!
• Darby should do the job at this level with those attacking atts
• Shocker of an initial friendly – guess we can only get better in NI!
AMC
VIP

Post by AMC »

You struck lucky with the random generator giving you Rushden, I think everyone who's played the game has started a save with them on the ODB at some point with them having around 6 or 7m to spend at the start.