FM or CM?

Ger1872
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by Ger1872 »

As a fan of playing Management games on various consoles/PC/Laptops over the years I have always found CM to be the better choice.
Going right back to the days of Football Manager on the Spectrum 128k I have always preferred the simplicity that CM gives you over the more time consuming FM nowadays.
Yes it may look great with all the facepacks/badges etc you can download but who wants to spend all evening sorting out your backroom, tactics, scouting etc when you could spend the same amount of time getting through a season on CM.
Which version do you prefer? For me it has to be the first CM I ever played on my old Amiga 500 CM93/94 with the data update pack.
I also enjoyed playing CM Italia.
I even loved the codes you had to put in before you could play the game. I loved the 3 foreigners ruling for European Competitions. The 3 different European competitions. I even enjoyed on CM Italia being restricted to only being allowed 3 foreigners at the club.
I loved listening to 606 on Radio 5 on a Saturday night while playing the game if I couldn't get to the match.
I loved waking up on a Sunday morning loading up the game sitting at my screen with a brew and listening to Fantasy Football on Radio 5.
I have even put together a playlist on Spotify of the tunes I would listen to back then so I could relive those glory days.
Ahh Nostalgia.
Redknapp69
Marketing Team

FM or CM?

Post by Redknapp69 »

On a CM site I think you may get more people preferring CM :)

And an 01/02 site it's probably 01/02!
ebfatz
Social Media Team

FM or CM?

Post by ebfatz »

It's all about CM.

As you say, FM is almost a 'real time' endeavor now.
twistedblitzle
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by twistedblitzle »

I'll be the odd one out and say none of them. For me it was always LMA Manager. But now it's CM 01/02 with the latest update :)
Whyme
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by Whyme »

Computer games are meant to be fun. CM is fun. FM is more realistic, but it's a chore. If I want realism I'll walk outside the front door
JLa
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by JLa »

I've bought the latest versions of FM "Touch", it's supposed to be simpler and more streamlined. It's a good game, but I just can't get my head around those tactics. I read the forums, watch tutorials and whatnot but I just ... I guess I'm too stupid.

CM all the way for me.
Cam F
Decent Young Player

FM or CM?

Post by Cam F »

Ger1872 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 am As a fan of playing Management games on various consoles/PC/Laptops over the years I have always found CM to be the better choice.
Going right back to the days of Football Manager on the Spectrum 128k I have always preferred the simplicity that CM gives you over the more time consuming FM nowadays.
Yes it may look great with all the facepacks/badges etc you can download but who wants to spend all evening sorting out your backroom, tactics, scouting etc when you could spend the same amount of time getting through a season on CM.
Which version do you prefer? For me it has to be the first CM I ever played on my old Amiga 500 CM93/94 with the data update pack.
I also enjoyed playing CM Italia.
I even loved the codes you had to put in before you could play the game. I loved the 3 foreigners ruling for European Competitions. The 3 different European competitions. I even enjoyed on CM Italia being restricted to only being allowed 3 foreigners at the club.
I loved listening to 606 on Radio 5 on a Saturday night while playing the game if I couldn't get to the match.
I loved waking up on a Sunday morning loading up the game sitting at my screen with a brew and listening to Fantasy Football on Radio 5.
I have even put together a playlist on Spotify of the tunes I would listen to back then so I could relive those glory days.
Ahh Nostalgia.
Great name by the way, on for 55 :)

I also liked the Anglo-Italian cup, that was cool.

CM 93/Italia was same for me, first game, absolutely loved them, that is what inspired me to do CM93 for 0001 & 0102, originally it started as just doing the English and Italian leagues per the games but then it grew arms and legs.
Raumdeuter
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by Raumdeuter »

FM 2020 is the first Football Manager I've played seriously since FM 2007. I thought it's brilliant, overwhelming at first but once you play enough where the menu navigation is second-thought, the game is excitingly immersive, even when playing with its 2D match engine.
That said, I always end up going back to CM 01/02. Having played it as a teen when it was first released I will always have an emotional attachment and comfort that comes with playing the game.
leovii
Decent Young Player

FM or CM?

Post by leovii »

FM if you want to bore yourself shitless it too indepth with 2 much nonsense going on it's a waste of time spending 7-8 hours or so to play a season correctly as you always have to squad manage to maximise your team and tactics which is super time consuming and not worth the effort. It's overkill but rarely i do get the urge to play deeply with it and sometimes it ok but gets boring very soon

CM's always more fun for rapid turn over of games and can be challenging or extremely easy depending on how you wanna play it unlike FM which feels more like a job than a super fun computer game
leovii
Decent Young Player

FM or CM?

Post by leovii »

JLa wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:58 am I've bought the latest versions of FM "Touch", it's supposed to be simpler and more streamlined. It's a good game, but I just can't get my head around those tactics. I read the forums, watch tutorials and whatnot but I just ... I guess I'm too stupid.

CM all the way for me.
and most the tactics that work for plug and play with fm are pretty much exploits similar to wibwobbing cm games but the wibwobbing of cm games is much faster and much fun. I last played fm17 and 18 and just played 4 3 3 as on those versions 3 striker formations where just overpowered so haven't played them since as I always wanted to try new systems and tactical setups but always ended up reverting to 4 3 3 as the ai had no clue to defend against it so I went back to the cm's pretty quick
Telcontar
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by Telcontar »

My preference is CM01/02 for two reasons, it is much faster, much more "plug and play" and when you are learning to code while at the same time have a job and try to maintain social life.. time is of essence. Second reason is, I live in a shithole, I can't really afford 60€ for a game, that is almost 10% of my sallary so... that being said, I tried Fm21 after many, many years (you can play the demo for free) and honestly if someone gave me the game for free I would jump right into it, looks and feels amazing. Although there is quite a nostalgia for 0102 teams.. I usually play Lussenhoffs 01/02 DB, not really that much into 2020 update.
FrozyLucky
VIP

FM or CM?

Post by FrozyLucky »

I love CM93/94, it still can provide a lot of fun and it has some unique features.
CM97/98 is also an enjoyable version of the football manager that has its own community that keeps it alive and active. My journey into the world of football management games started from this game (awesome Denmark version) and I love it like a first love :)
I also find Manchester United: The Double from the Krysalis very adorable small football manager from the 90s. It's very simple and has no text comments (instant result or play by yourself in 2d) but it has its own benefits to play even in 2021.
But CM0102 is my main preference too, the ideal combination of tweaks, patches, nostalgia, challenges, and emotions.
foo_jam2002
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by foo_jam2002 »

CM 01-02 is the way to go. Simple but not simplistic, super fun, addicting, nostalgic are the reasons for the easy choice. I had tried the demo of FM 12/13 and it was very time consuming, it just wasn't worth it.
leovii
Decent Young Player

FM or CM?

Post by leovii »

foo_jam2002 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:37 pm CM 01-02 is the way to go. Simple but not simplistic, super fun, addicting, nostalgic are the reasons for the easy choice. I had tried the demo of FM 12/13 and it was very time consuming, it just wasn't worth it.
fm12 you say the later versions got 10 times worst for time consumption.

By fm18 you literally needed at least 3 tactics for different matches to get the most out of your team I would imagine to get really good results on the later versions you would be wasting hours every season tweaking the 3 different tactical systems and strategies throughout the season only to go onto the FM forum one day and see threads on what exploits the match engine or what player roles are overpowered on that version and it makes it feel like all the time you put into the game was worthless. It's why cm0102 and all the cm3 versions are much better to play. Fast furious and addictive and like yous said nostalgia. The game can also be as difficult or easy for how you want to play it. Alot of people think the match engine is very basic on cm0102 but it's far more complex that what people give it credit for if you aren't exploiting it wib wob or doing insane centralised tactics that are unrealistic and known to break the match engine.

The most painful memory on fm's for me was a forum network game 5 players and it took nearly 6 hours to get into the season and play the first games. I had a match against another human player he went 1-0 up then for 15 mins the match was paused and thought the f****r had dropped dead at his computer screen! but no he was just making tactical changes and typed ''sorry was worried about my right back being exposed''
foo_jam2002
Youth Team Player

FM or CM?

Post by foo_jam2002 »

I know what you mean leovii. Spending so much time when we have real life obligations just doesn't work but even if we have some free time, the last FMs aren't captivating and they feel like a job. CM has a good engine, i never use "cheat" tactics and i always have fun. Well, there are cases when the AI behaves strangely and punishes me but in general, i enjoy the game.